Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After riding sports bikes for a decade as my daily commuters... I suddenly had comfort, and long rides on my mind...and cruiser bug hit me, started researching and once I saw the boulevard C50, I was hooked on the motorcycle. Started my search for the right motorcycle, found a 2006 C50 black with windshield and passenger backrest at a dealer near me. Went for a test drive, long story short said bye to my Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6RR and picked the boulevard up the next day :shades:

A few things that felt amazing for me compared to my previous two sports bikes
1. Ride comfort...immensely more comfortable than both my yamaha R6 and Kawasaki ZX-6RR. A direct comparison would be...being strapped on a hard roller coaster seat...vs a Mercedes S class :shades:
2. Ease of Riding - this bike is so easy to ride, felt intuitive from the get go...I never felt overwhelmed by the weight...even when taking sharp turns...it is over 200 pounds heavier than my other bikes and I am an average sized guy..5'8" and 170 pounds. More than enough power for any kind of road riding, unless you are planning on illegal activities :twisted: !
3. Visibility and respect - As a rider who used his sports bikes as daily commuters, I have had many times when I was either harassed by an SUV or a truck...or worse not be seen by minivan owners exiting parking lots. With this motorcycle, it is a like a ship that is broad with shiny chrome and a decent sounding stock exhaust (hmm upgrade is already on my mind)...already feel I get more respect and am more visible to other motorists on the road.
4. Smooth mid to high range power - The motorcycle has superb low end torque and power delivery feels amazingly smooth when cruising to 65-75mph. I read a lot of posts asking if this motorcycle has enough power for cruising on the highways...my answer would be a resounding yes, you do not need a bigger motorcycle unless you weigh over 250 pounds and want to cruise at 85-90mph all day. My advise for those that want that much power... would not be a big cruiser but a sports tourer like a kawasaki concours or yamaha FJR.

If I were to pick on little things...
Lack of tach - my first test ride and i felt transported back to the 80s...no tach, analog speedo. coming from sports bikes lack of tacho and all the digital gizmos was a glaring miss. But in this motorcycle's favor the ride is super fun and you can feel the engine letting you know when to shift..which is great for increasing your riding skills.
Lack of top end power/gear - coming from motorcycles that can hit 100mph in second gear...having to battle with vibration and twist the life out of the throttle in the 5th gear to climb past 85mph is a pity...not sure why there is not a 6th gear. Again the point is doing speeds over 85mph which is not that often...and i can easily keep up with my sports bike friends as long as they remain in the legal speed limit :biglaugh:

Well I shall stop my rant now....wishing all you fellow boulevard riders a happy new year and great rides in the upcoming years.

A newbie on a boulevard...hoping to ride this motorcycle for the next decade :wayhappy:

Sats

Attachments

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Indiana.

It is a great bike. Most agree that a 6th geat would be fantastic. You will still be overlooked by other drivers but don't despair it is their lack of attention .

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
how-d-do

welcome from Texas

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hello, From Ohio!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Welcome from Massachusetts! I've found that mods are fun, though I'm not too extreme- pretty much dressing her up. I've also toyed with a tad louder exhaust, but I like the sound she makes now and I don't want a super loud bike. Warning: Cagers still have trouble "seeing" the cruisers, so don't let your guard down!

HAVE FUN!

ps: I think I see a DJ Drive in your future. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hello, Sats, and welcome to the Boulevard community. I was in the same position you were, moving from sport bikes to the cruiser and have had much the same response as you to the comfort and flexibility of the C50. Also wondering why a 6th gear was never incorporated. . . Mine's a 2005, with only 8,102 miles on it when I purchased in May of this year. Barely broken in, IMHO. Put on new tires [Kenda Kruze], a mid-size windshield, and 2" risers. I'm 190 lb, 5'10" and the bike fits me perfect. Sure, I miss the wind-up and get-up of my larger displacement bikes but like yourself I find I get much more respect in traffic then I ever did with the earlier rides. Imagine that...
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

If you're concerned about the lack of a sixth gear, look into a DJ drive. I saw a post with one for sale recently. They'll usually set you back about $200, but they make the great ratio a lot better for highway riding.

Personally, I spend my time riding back roads and rarely get out of third and fourth, so I could care less. When I do hit the highway, I always try to shift into sixth, but then realize I'm topped out and I'm good. The bike sounds like it's wound up, but it's fine, don't worry about it. Everyone who's done any long trips will attest that it'll do 80 all day long without issue.

You've got a nice looking bike, but I'll warn you that cruisers tend to want more accessories and mods than sport bikes, so save your milk money. First it's the pipes, then it's saddle bags, then it's chrome grips, then it's... You get the picture.

:moneyeyes:

I think you'll be happier in the end though. Ride safe brother!

BTW, the tach is an easy fix too: http://m.cruisercustomizing.com/pro...-and-c90-fuel-injected-models/part/PRO-888030

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Sats

·
Super Moderator
61,557 Posts
You don't need no steenking tach. That's what the rev limiter is for. ;)

Welcome from the VooDoo Lounge. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Strange - I've done the "ton" with my C50, and have yet to encounter a rev limiter. Perhaps the 2005 didn't incorporate this piece of nonsense. ~ S ~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks all for the greetings and the cool inputs..especially the DJ drive, will look into it...aftermarket exhaust was on my todo list, but then it means dropping 500 bucks on a piece of metal that produces more sound and a little more performance...might just go the saddlebags route instead.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
You could always debaffle the pipes, or do an honest Abe mod, but realize that it's just aftermarket pipe crack, you'll still want the aftermarket pipes after doing it. Could get you a better sound while you save some dough, or hope for someone here on the forums to put some V&Hs up for sale.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You could always debaffle the pipes, or do an honest Abe mod, but realize that it's just aftermarket pipe crack, you'll still want the aftermarket pipes after doing it. Could get you a better sound while you save some dough, or hope for someone here on the forums to put some V&Hs up for sale.

So let's say I wanted just a tad more sound, but not to the extent of debaffling the pipes. Is drilling a decent option? No V&H cash right now, and I don't want to go too loud anyway. I get the impression that drilling holes in the plate can give me the ability to tweek the sound a bit without going overboard? Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
28,293 Posts
So let's say I wanted just a tad more sound, but not to the extent of debaffling the pipes. Is drilling a decent option? No V&H cash right now, and I don't want to go too loud anyway. I get the impression that drilling holes in the plate can give me the ability to tweek the sound a bit without going overboard? Any thoughts?
Absolutely! Drilling the backplate will give you a slightly deeper tone. I'd start with about 4 holes in each and then go from there. Believe it or not, the plate is actually really easy to drill, but I highly recommend using a hammer and nail to put a dent where you want the hole to be, it'll keep the drill bit from dancing around on you while starting the hole.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Absolutely! Drilling the backplate will give you a slightly deeper tone. I'd start with about 4 holes in each and then go from there. Believe it or not, the plate is actually really easy to drill, but I highly recommend using a hammer and nail to put a dent where you want the hole to be, it'll keep the drill bit from dancing around on you while starting the hole.

Excellent! Thanks! That sounds like something I can do myself without too much trouble. :wayhappy: Any particular size holes?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts