Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this all started last Saturday...
I was just looking at craigslist to see what I could find tht I didnt need.
I came across a '01 Volusia that was dirty, but in perfect condition. it only has 6700 miles on it. The guy was selling it for $2000.00. I am in cali and mine is worth $3200.00 with 24k miles on it.
So, I call and ask about it, and was about to do it, before I just get that red flag spidy sence, and decide not to do it. I have a '02 Volusia and have been thinking about building a bobber. well, I tell the guy no thanks. and he decided that my bobber idea was great. long story short, he takes off alot of parts, I buy all the parts from him for 100.00 since I need a new front fender to prep for a custom paint job on my Volusia. he gives me a crapload of parts. (wind screen, seats, all fenders, strut mounts, tail light assembly with 6" cut off wires, ect. planning on selling off the rest.

he calls me this morning and tells me the bike is messed up and wont run, he cut abunch of wires to the clutch safety switch. among other things like take a grinder to cut off parts of the exhaust system, ect. and he wants to sell it to me for 900.00. I decide to do it. but he has really gone to town on this bike... I may regret this, but such low mileage, shoot, I jsut might buy the bobber kit, throw a tail light on the side, put on a tractor pan seat, and paint it satin black, and wrap the pipes.

What do ya'll think?

should I do it, or walk away?

Well,

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Do it! You can get $700 for the motor alone if you abandon your project.

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
If you want a parts bike, do it. If you're looking for a scratch build and you have unlimited time and cash flow, do it. If you're just looking for a cheap way to get another bike, run away. Money pit waiting to happen.

·
Super Moderator
33,452 Posts
I'm with Skrap, something doesn't seem right. If the engine isn't burned up it's worth it, but when someone suddenly does something that makes it impossible to turn over the engine for a test, I get suspicious. Like maybe the engine was seized all along and he's hiding it. You may end up spending $900 on some usable body parts.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
The bike is scrap.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's easy enough to see if the motor will at least turn over.
If the bike is intact enough, jumping the relay under the seat will cause the starter to run regardless of what condition the rest of the wiring is in.
Worst comes to worst directly wiring the battery to the starter wire and ground will get the starter to go, again regardless of what the rest of the wiring harness is in.

Actual running testing only requires locating the ignition and kill switch wiring and splicing them (you said he cut the wires correct?) in running configuration...really not too difficult...especially as the 01-04 have very little actual wiring necessary to the engine and the ready availability of free to use manuals online.

The clutch safety switch only requires the two wires be connected together (by twisting the cut wires together) to allow the motor to run and the starter to go.
The kill switch wires need to be connected as well as it completes the start/run circuit, preventing the starter from going when in the off position.
The kickstand switch wires need to be connected to run as they complete the starting circuit as well as the running circuit.

For the money it's a good price for a spare engine and parts....but if I were you I'd insist on seeing it at a minimum turn, but again if it were my money I'd rather see it run and offer to help wire it up to do so temporarily if the owner is not able to do so.

·
Registered
23,533 Posts
Get the agreed upon price in writing first. If you get it running, he may decide the price was for a non-running bike and try to get more if it runs.
If it rruns, go for it. If it doesn't, run away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that is the thing, it was in perfect running condition before he started messing with it. I have all the parts, he was able to fix it and get it running again. He asked for more and I told him no. He just needs the money now it sounds like. So I will check it out in person tonight and then ride it home.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know a guy who picked up a 2008 C50 with 8800 miles on it for $2500. The tank had a dent and the sissy bar cushion was ate off by the previous owners Golden Retriever but other than that it was solid.

What I am getting at is I think there are better deals out there if you aren't in any hurry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked it up, this guy really didnt know what he was doing... even a south of the border chop shop wouldn't hire him. he just cut through wires 3 inches from the hi-lo beam, turn and horn control module. same with the kill switch... it runs just fine though. only thing I will have to do on it other than undo his handt work is fix or replace the clutch. Apparently the first owner was 450 lbs, and moving that weight around didn't bode well for the clutch. when I get on it, it revs faster than acceleration. Any tips on that one? I heard that it might jsut need the springs tightened.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.