Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the weekend past we rode some secondary roads for a round trip of about 230 km/140 miles. Roads were in great shape, just the usual crack in the asphalt every so often.
A semi heading the opposite direction approaches at about 100km/60mph and we were doing the same speed. As we pass each other a rock of about 2" in size:surprise: comes flying across, does one hop and drills me right square in the knee cap:crying2:! Usually I wear my chaps on a ride that long but ...... not today. I don't think they would have helped anyway but it is funny how things seem to happen when your not fully geared up. I did have on my full face helmet though as I can't imagine what that would feel like if you were to take it in the face!
I'm glad my knee took the impact instead of my tank as my knee feels okay already but the tank would still be needing repair.

·
Administrator
52,584 Posts
Good to hear that nothing serious resulted from that 18 wheeler propelled meteor, could have been much worse.

Heading south on I95, after leaving Beezers, then DL Fox's house in Oct 2006, My Chevy Suburban, (then only 2 years old) took a whacking from a chunk of steel spring or spring hanger pad from the 18 wheeler out in front of Me.
Fortunately, I had installed a stainless steel hood protector on it when brand new, and that hood protector saved the the vehicle itself from any damage.
The protector took the hit, then launched the hunk of steel off to the roadside.

Reactions: t-man403

·
Registered
198 Posts
Wow.... I wear a full-face but didn't really think of something hitting me. I mostly thought about falling. Sometimes I ride with my face shield up and sunglasses, probably shouldn't do that anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow.... I wear a full-face but didn't really think of something hitting me. I mostly thought about falling. Sometimes I ride with my face shield up and sunglasses, probably shouldn't do that anymore.

I do the same as its nice to breath every once in a while.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Glad you and your bike survived fine. Ouch.
Last Saturday, I was riding on one of my favorite roads, and I see a couple of turkeys crossing
the road. I slow down to clear them....all goes fine.....no problem, I thought.
Shortly after clearing them, a flying turkey flies directly into my side. He catches me in the left arm.
I sort of pushed him with my left arm and elbow.....directing him behind me and he kept flying.
And I kept riding. I was just glad he didn't get to my front, where he might have gotten caught between
me and the windshield. It would have been like the insurance commercial....lol.
Might be a good reason NOT to have a windshield....I dunno.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Last Saturday, I was riding on one of my favorite roads, and I see a couple of turkeys crossing
Shortly after clearing them, a flying turkey flies directly into my side. He catches me in the left arm.
I sort of pushed him with my left arm and elbow.....directing him behind me and he kept flying.
And I kept riding. I was just glad he didn't get to my front, where he might have gotten caught between
That's a serious flying insect right there!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I like riding with my mesh pants. They have armor in the knees. I wear shorts under them when it's hot out and when it is cold out the armor helps to keep your knees warm. They are kind of out there all the time. I've had the odd stone hit me in the shin and that smarts. A bruise is the giveaway from a bad hit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I remember coming down a backroad, early morning so not quite full light, I see what appeared to be garbage bags in the middle of the road. The area is known for bears raiding garbage, so I was looking for them. As I got closer, it's a bunch of turkeys in the road, a couple hens and a tom. Well, the Tom thought he was all that, he puffed up his plumage and tried to scare me off - actually ran at me! I heard him as I passed, I swear he was laughing and all the hens were cooing at him. Just thought of it because of your turkey episode ;)

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad you're okay because rocks are dangerous. Just look what happened to Goliath!

Can't believe it took somebody this long to come up with this!! :lol:

Was the first thing I thought of while I waited for blood to ooze thru my jeans!! ;-)

·
Super Moderator
58,045 Posts
I know the first thing I would have said real real loud.

Surprisingly ...... I didn't! /images/VolusiaRiders_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png
Well as far as 1 hoppers go, you were too big to play shortstop. Maybe 1st base or outfield.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts