Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening, I took my wife on our first ride together. Two up on a 2005 C50. I have owned the bike about 6 months and tonight I decided it was time for me to experience what it felt like to ride with a passenger. It was about 65 degrees and pretty windy. We went about 30 miles mostly at highway speeds and everything went fairly smoothly. My issue and question is, When I pulled in the drive to park I heard the radiator fan running and it smelled hot. The smell could have been a clutch smell from going slowly in the drive not being used to the extra weight, but I have never heard the fan run before. Is this normal or did it get too hot on the two up ride. There were no lights or indicators lite up on the speedo.

Any insite would be appreciated.
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
This evening, I took my wife on our first ride together. Two up on a 2005 C50. I have owned the bike about 6 months and tonight I decided it was time for me to experience what it felt like to ride with a passenger. It was about 65 degrees and pretty windy. We went about 30 miles mostly at highway speeds and everything went fairly smoothly. My issue and question is, When I pulled in the drive to park I heard the radiator fan running and it smelled hot. The smell could have been a clutch smell from going slowly in the drive not being used to the extra weight, but I have never heard the fan run before. Is this normal or did it get too hot on the two up ride. There were no lights or indicators lite up on the speedo.

Any insite would be appreciated.
Thanks,
It is normal for the fan to come on like that when the temperature gets up to the maximum during a ride.

Just as a precaution, you might want to check the antifreeze level in the expansion/overflow tank behind the 2nd chrome cover on the left side of the engine. If it is ok for level, do you know when the antifreeze was changed last? - not that older antifreeze will make it overheat...

Also check the radiator fins to make sure they aren't bent over or plugged with bugs.....

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Double check the rear brake rod when loaded 2 up.

After I lowered my vol, i set the brake for myself. Riding 2 up caused the brake to drag, turned the hub a pretty gold color.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steveg, Not sure how I would check that, but it is a good thought. The rad. was not that hot to the touch, but I did not think of the rear brake dragging.

Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did however check the wifes boots thinking that she had melted the soles. She did the right thing and kept her feet off the pipes. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'd check the rear brake adjustment. 2 up will compress the suspension which moves the brake shoes closer to the drum. Common issue.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I hear the fan kick on at traffic lights a good bit in warmer weather. I would not worry about it, but check the coolant anyway and flush/replace if you have not done it in a while

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Steveg, Not sure how I would check that, but it is a good thought. The rad. was not that hot to the touch, but I did not think of the rear brake dragging.
Thanks,
Go for a few mile ride by yourself, do it in an area you will not need the rear brake and only use the front brake, when you get home carefully feel
the drum. Now take the same route with the little lady and feel the drum, if it's hot loosen the brake adjustment and repeat the latter part.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts

Thanks,
Easy check, sit on the hike in neutral and move it. Then do it with the passenger, you will feel the resistance if the brake is dragging.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Easy check, sit on the hike in neutral and move it. Then do it with the passenger, you will feel the resistance if the brake is dragging.
With the passenger on the bike, the distance you can depress the brake pedal is non existent or very short.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everybody for the tips. I am kinda new to this so every bit of information is helpful. I did check the coolant level this afternoon and it seemed good so we will rule out that for now. I did start the bike and roll it out of the garage and it all seemed normal. The brake pedal seem to have a normal range of motion.

I like the idea of checking the pedal and rolling ability with me by myself and then adding the wife and checking it again.

I will post those results tomorrow.

Thanks again,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts