Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,598 Posts
Ah, the Triple Nickel.... I am so spoiled having it so close to home!

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
The Tail of the Dragon is a fun road, but not really that great on a Cruiser. There are many roads around that area however that are much better and more relaxing. Those include the River Road, Foothills Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, and Highway 28. Of course the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great road for both bikes and cars. I do a ride out on these and many other roads every year for the past eight years just prior to Memorial Day. I'm looking forward to this year's ride already! We're going to extend our trip and do some loops around the Chattanooga area this year.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've ridden three of the five listed however I wasn't at all impressed with the pig tail. It might be the best road for twisties in NW Arkansas but when riding the twistiest roads in NC and VA on a steady diet it really doesn't compare. Not really world class. I have to agree about 191 in AZ that is a beautiful ride and if you get off the bike in Morenci and take a look at the open pit copper mine the colors in the tailings are pretty unique.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,628 Posts
The Tail of the Dragon is a fun road, but not really that great on a Cruiser. There are many roads around that area however that are much better and more relaxing. Those include the River Road, Foothills Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, and Highway 28. Of course the Blue Ridge Parkway is a great road for both bikes and cars. I do a ride out on these and many other roads every year for the past eight years just prior to Memorial Day. I'm looking forward to this year's ride already! We're going to extend our trip and do some loops around the Chattanooga area this year.
I have to agree that Cherohala Skyway and BRP are absolutely beautiful roads to ride on. Whenever I do trips to that area with friends, I tend to go through the Dragon just because, but I look forward to those roads more.

·
Super Moderator
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cherohala has been on my "life list" since it opened. If ever I actually get down that way to ride the Skyway, the Dragon will be added to the itinerary, "since I'm in the neighborhood."

·
Registered
491 Posts
Rode the Cherohala a couple years ago. Still prefer the BRP mainly because of the ugly guard rail on the Cherohala. The BRP is just a more scenic ride.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Western Arkansas is full of good roads of all types of riders. If you're close to it do the Pig Trail but don't plan on being thrilled or challenged. Much too short and only a few of decent curves IMO

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I haven't ridden any of those mentioned.......I haven't been east of the Mississippi since I was last stationed in Virginia (78-80). I did ride a bunch of the VA and NC coastal roads while I was there. Kind of hard to beat all the good roads out west.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I did Hwy 36 in Northern California back in '08 on our way back from the Ronnie Rally in Silver Springs NV. I vowed that I would someday go back and do it again and did it last summer on my ST1300.

The only drawback was that there was major construction just west of Dinsmore and they only allowed traffic through the construction area for only an hour from noon until 1:00 and then it is closed again until after 5:00. I discovered this when leaving Red Bluff, calculated the time and distance and figured I could make it if I really pushed it. I was going through the curves a lot faster than I really wanted to but I also didn't want to spend 4 hours hanging out in Dinsmore.

I made it just before 1:00 and was in the last group of vehicles that they let through. From there on I could relax and take the rest of the ride at a slower pace. At least, I found out what I and my bike were capable of! :wayhappy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts