Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 C50 with approx 4000 miles - so far most of it city miles. During those city miles I observed no oil consumption.

But now I'm living in the country side, close to the mountains with very nice scenery roads available.

I did some touring over the last few days. Took my C50 out of winter storage, checked the oil. Right up to the top fill mark.
Did some touring, appox 100-150 miles, lots of twisties, mountain roads. The C50 isn't exactly a power cruiser, so going uphill coming out of the corners I used approx 3/4 of the throttle available.
Going down steep hills I used the engine so I wouldn't smoke the brakes. I never had the feeling the C50 had weak brakes until I hit the twisties. The rear fades pretty quickly leaving only the so-so front brake available.

Now, after a few days I did want to go for another ride and I thought: let's check the oil, oil consumption is common with these bikes, but with a engine that new, with that low mileage.... good thing I checked! I was right above the low mark! I guess that's why many engines get the knock of death, you go from full to low so quickly.

I did change the oil right away, the old Motul 300V 10W40 full synth. already was quite old, so I changed to Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 HDEO.

I will monitor the oil consumption very closely from now on.
My engine pretty sure isn't worn out given the mileage, but high RPM operation, wether it is acceleration or deceleration seem to consume so much oil that it gets dangerous pretty quickly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Maybe yours is different, by my C50 always shows a higher oil level after weeks of not being run. Every last little bit of oil in the engine has a chance to settle down to the crankcase, raising the level.. Start the engine, the oil circulates, and at shut-off some of it stays up in the engine -- making the crankcase level lower until enough time passes for all the oil to settle again. I think this is the main reason most owners' manuals specify only that the oil crankcase level should be between the two marks when checked -- they know it won't be exactly the same every time, but as long as there's enough to keep the level in the full range there's enough to lube the engine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last fall before storage it was on full. In my experience, the oil level doesn't rise after storage, so there isn't that much running back after extended storage. At least that's my experience

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
My 05' (bought new) used a quart of oil every 500 miles from day one....at 25K miles it was using 2 quarts every 500 miles.....the dealer told me several months after buying it that it was "normal" consumption. I traded it back to them when I got rid of it and got a 1500 Kawasaki Classic. 50K miles later and that bike never used a quart (annual changes with those 50K miles put on in 8 years).

I honestly wouldn't buy another Suzuki.......

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
At least with a Harley, you can see where it's dripping out. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
My preferred cruising speed is 90 MPH, and my 2008 seems to consume a lot of oil on the highway, not to mention gas. Recently, after about a month of daily riding 30 miles to and from work, my oil ran almost 2 quarts low and chewed up my clutch plates; I had to replace those but that was the only damage. Now I really check my oil every day like they teach in riding school! The easiest way I have found to check it is to take a picture with my iphone, with the flash on. I have a little mirror but that thing was fogging up and it kinda sucked, that's why I didn't check it for several weeks... also remind me not to have my 8 year old son try to check it for me... He said oil level was between the lines, but now I don't think he really understood what he was looking at. Not sure why I didn't think of taking a picture sooner...

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
My preferred cruising speed is 90 MPH, and my 2008 seems to consume a lot of oil on the highway, not to mention gas. Recently, after about a month of daily riding 30 miles to and from work, my oil ran almost 2 quarts low and chewed up my clutch plates; I had to replace those but that was the only damage. Now I really check my oil every day like they teach in riding school! The easiest way I have found to check it is to take a picture with my iphone, with the flash on. I have a little mirror but that thing was fogging up and it kinda sucked, that's why I didn't check it for several weeks... also remind me not to have my 8 year old son try to check it for me... He said oil level was between the lines, but now I don't think he really understood what he was looking at. Not sure why I didn't think of taking a picture sooner...
Running your bike around at the top end of its spectrum on a continual basis, I'm not surprised it uses oil like it does.
Actually I'm kinda surprised it hasn't given up all together.
These bikes were pretty much designed to be 55mph cruisers.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
There's nothing you can do to prevent these engines from using oil. The harder you push them, the more they're going to use and the shorter they're going to last.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Running your bike around at the top end of its spectrum on a continual basis, I'm not surprised it uses oil like it does.
Actually I'm kinda surprised it hasn't given up all together.
These bikes were pretty much designed to be 55mph cruisers.
Is there a specific kind of oil that would be best for my bike at high RPMs that you could recommend, Joe?
:p

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Is there a specific kind of oil that would be best for my bike at high RPMs that you could recommend, Joe?
:p
There's nothing you can do. If you keep running the bike at high RPM it will only accelerate the wear and fail sooner. I was right about where you were on my '05 in terms of oil consumption, so I tried 15w50 to see if it would help. No. It continued to drink oil like cheap vodka until one day when I was riding in front of Ron and he said I was smoking heavily under throttle.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Of course on a C-50, if you're sitting on the bike and your oil looks low, (using a mirror or someone else's eye) you can always tip the bike a little to the right until there's enough oil in the glass, then you're good to go! ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,126 Posts
The easiest way I found to check my oil was to put a 2x4 under the kickstand. That puts the bike pretty close to level, if not exactly at it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My 05' (bought new) used a quart of oil every 500 miles from day one....at 25K miles it was using 2 quarts every 500 miles.....the dealer told me several months after buying it that it was "normal" consumption. I traded it back to them when I got rid of it and got a 1500 Kawasaki Classic. 50K miles later and that bike never used a quart (annual changes with those 50K miles put on in 8 years).

I honestly wouldn't buy another Suzuki.......
Bit of a silly reason not to buy one. Burning oil is normal across all manufacturers and all vehicles. Some will do more than others. My C50 is on 20,000 miles and does not burn a drop. My previous car would burn a quart every 600 miles or so, but it ran perfectly fine and was not down on power. Totally normal for some engines to burn oil regardless of brand

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2015 C50 with approx 4000 miles - so far most of it city miles. During those city miles I observed no oil consumption.

But now I'm living in the country side, close to the mountains with very nice scenery roads available.

I did some touring over the last few days. Took my C50 out of winter storage, checked the oil. Right up to the top fill mark.
Did some touring, appox 100-150 miles, lots of twisties, mountain roads. The C50 isn't exactly a power cruiser, so going uphill coming out of the corners I used approx 3/4 of the throttle available.
Going down steep hills I used the engine so I wouldn't smoke the brakes. I never had the feeling the C50 had weak brakes until I hit the twisties. The rear fades pretty quickly leaving only the so-so front brake available.

Now, after a few days I did want to go for another ride and I thought: let's check the oil, oil consumption is common with these bikes, but with a engine that new, with that low mileage.... good thing I checked! I was right above the low mark! I guess that's why many engines get the knock of death, you go from full to low so quickly.

I did change the oil right away, the old Motul 300V 10W40 full synth. already was quite old, so I changed to Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 HDEO.

I will monitor the oil consumption very closely from now on.
My engine pretty sure isn't worn out given the mileage, but high RPM operation, wether it is acceleration or deceleration seem to consume so much oil that it gets dangerous pretty quickly.
My 2006 hasn’t ever burned through oil like that but I’ll keep a close watch on mine for a second bike check since I live in the same kind of areas.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
If you have a 5 quart capacity engine, and you keep it at 6 Qts, that 6th quart will disappear every fill up.
Bikes are only fractions of QT's in comparison to cars, but it still applies.

It makes me wonder sometimes if folks are checking their oil properly.

Reactions: Street Reaper

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have a 5 quart capacity engine, and you keep it at 6 Qts, that 6th quart will disappear every fill up.
Bikes are only fractions of QT's in comparison to cars, but it still applies.

It makes me wonder sometimes if folks are checking their oil properly.
yea I’ve never had an issue with my oil doing this disappearing act but I’ve also always known how to check and keep the proper amount of oil in all the vehicles I own, but he might also have something else going on in his motor where he’s burning some oil while he’s riding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts