Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 180 mile ride today I was cleaning the bike and noticed a film of oil on the rear rim. The final drive seal is leaking, or is it? I checked the oil level and with the bike standing straight up the oil actually runs out of the fill hole a little.

Could the dealer have over filled it and it will quit leaking once it gets down to the proper level (wishful thinking) or have I got a problem? The old girl only has 305 miles on her. :(

Also the final drive hub was pretty warm, is this normal?

Anyone else have this happen to you?

Roy
2008 c50t red and white

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I'll see if I can find a thread or two, but I believe it's normal for a new bike. I don't think you're the first to experience it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
YEAH I HAVE AS A MATTER OF FACT IT HAPPENED TO ME TODAY.
FIGURED OUT THE DEALER PRESSURE WASHED THE BIKE AND GOT WATER IN THE GEAR BOX. PRESSURE MUST HAVE GOTTEN TO HIGH AND IT BLEW THE SEAL ON THE DIFF.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oil leak?

Don't think it's a problem. I've had my C50T for three years now and have always had a little oil film at the final, but never showed to be low. Just one of those things I guess.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's normal. My '06 C50 had a slight leak when it was new and breaking in. The final drive fluid is just slightly overfilled at the factory ( or dealer?) and it leaks out as the oil heats up and expands during operation. I just kept wiping the rim clean after each ride until the fluid level evened out.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
I'll chime in from the other side. I've got 12K+ on my '07 and haven't had any such experience. Doesn't mean it's not normal, just not my experience.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
My 07 C50 is leaking a little too.

According to the manual you are supposed to fill it to the very rim.
As it heats up, a little might leak out due to expansion.

I don't think its a problem but in order to release myself of any liability I am going to strongly recommend that you take it to the dealer to have it checked. :D :D :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well let's examine this further. It's a closed system, leaking fluid near the rear tire of a motorcycle. Not a safe situation in my book. Our cars don't leak when they are new so neither should a bike. It probably wouldnt' hurt to let a little out since it may have been over filled and see if it stops. Otherwise i'd get her back to the shop while it's still under warranty. I just worry that if enough leaks out to get on the rubber part of your tire in a turn you might end up in a bad way. Be careful.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
metzgers3jjl said:
Well let's examine this further. It's a closed system, ........
Actually it is not an entirely closed system. There is a vent hole at the top of the drive housing facing into the wheel hub recess.

Overfilling can easily cause oil to leak out of the vent hole.

(When you think about it all systems have to vent somewhere so that there is no pressure build-up with a rise in temperature with use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts