Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suzuki has released its 2020 "Boulevard" cruiser lineup. It consists of:

1. The M109R
2. The C50T
3. The C50

That. Is. It.

Gone are the S40, M50, C90, C90T, and M90.

I'd like to hope it means the Mothership has pulled these models back for a major redesign, but I've got a feeling that won't be the case.

D*mned shame. Suzuki cruisers have always been good bikes at reasonable prices.

·
Super Moderator
25,687 Posts
The C90 never was a good bike. I'm sure Suzuki is looking at replacing it with something better. They need a mid-range cruiser that's somewhere in between the "not so good on the highway" C50 and the "rip your face off" M109.

I'm a bit surprised that they're pulling the M50 though. I mean, all they really do is change the fenders on the C50 to get it. You'd think they could keep cranking that one out. It's a pretty good looking bike, even if it isn't super popular.

The S40 is a good entry level bike, but the design is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth. I suspect they're going to be looking to release something that can compete with the redesign of the Rebel and the Street 500. If I were looking to buy a bike in that 500cc range, I wouldn't even bother to look at the S40 when I can get the Rebel or Street in the same price range.

I suspect that we're looking at a redesign coming. Hang in there.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I love my Savage and still have it. It's a great bike and a 650 single cylinder, air cooled, low or no maintenance. I thought it was a superb starter bike.

·
Registered
19,602 Posts
Their combined cruiser sales lag far behind that of the Vstrom and sport bikes. It is not a market that Suzuki has ever really competed in successfully

Reactions: FX4

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Holding my breath to see what they come up with. Hopefully sooner than later. As Skrapiron has said, they never have been particularly competitive in the cruise market. Sad.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Maybe a C70/C80 in the redesign???hmm
No replacement for displacement!! Let's ride!

·
Super Moderator
58,168 Posts
Harley never needed to redesign very much to dominate the cruiser market. Smart money is on a good used Harley. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I hate to say it, but those bikes aren’t coming back. You don’t pull a bike to redesign it. You pull a bike that’s not selling well. Maybe they bring something back but it will look nothing like these.

I just took a peak at what the big four had for their 2020 bikes. Honda has 750 Shadows and the Stateline/Fury. No big V twins here unless you want an Orange County Chopper lookalike. Yamaha has no classic cruisers or bobbers at all. They have a single “sport heritage” bike which looks like a small M109 cousin. Kawasaki has a Vulcan 900 and a two baggers. At least there is a big displacement option here. Suzuki is doing the above.

Classic cruiser options are now limited to Harley and Indian, both of which are 2x the price to make up for low volume.

It seems that sport cruiser and sport touring is the future for Japanese bikes. Take a look at the NC700 and the Goldwing. That’s what all Japanese cruisers will look like in 5-7 years.

·
Registered
19,602 Posts
Metric cruisers aren't selling. Period. That's why you're not seeing them in the showrooms. HD and Indian own the market and the Japanese are no longer trying to compete. Instead they are selling sport touring and adventure bikes like hotcakes. The days of the tattooed, patched, grizzled old guy on a cruiser with loud pipes are numbered. They're being replaced by power rangers on bikes with more tupperware than your mother has in her kitchen.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Metric cruisers aren't selling. Period. That's why you're not seeing them in the showrooms. HD and Indian own the market and the Japanese are no longer trying to compete. Instead they are selling sport touring and adventure bikes like hotcakes. The days of the tattooed, patched, grizzled old guy on a cruiser with loud pipes are numbered. They're being replaced by power rangers on bikes with more tupperware than your mother has in her kitchen.
This is a sad but true read of the current market. Unfortunately, HD and Indian are way too expensive for a lot of regular guys/gals. I'd love an Indian Springfield, but just can't stomach the money, even in the used market. The V-Twins represented a good value for the money and made the hobby affordable for everyone to get into it. Maybe the market is graying and millennials are buying (or more likely NOT buying) the power ranger bikes and the hobby is going through a sea change.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Their combined cruiser sales lag far behind that of the Vstrom and sport bikes. It is not a market that Suzuki has ever really competed in successfully
I actually think Skrap is correct here. They are not really very good at the cruiser thing. Why spend money on something you are not good at doing and consistently have to discount to move off showroom floors?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Look at what Victory was doing with their bikes. Japanese manufacturers could have done the same thing: design a good motor, then design the rest of the bike around it. A big ass motor with gobs of power. And put some serious thought into the physical/visual design. Instead we get the same tame V-twins. Oh and they could have also just designed a single 1300-1500cc engine and stuck it into a bunch of different frames/trims a la Harley.

This is how I find myself actually considering the Honda Valkyrie. It’s a flat six, and a sort of power ranger bike, but it is also a kickass bike. It’s just got more design put into it than some of the other cruiser/tourer bikes.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Look at what Victory was doing with their bikes. Japanese manufacturers could have done the same thing: design a good motor, then design the rest of the bike around it. A big ass motor with gobs of power. And put some serious thought into the physical/visual design. Instead we get the same tame V-twins. Oh and they could have also just designed a single 1300-1500cc engine and stuck it into a bunch of different frames/trims a la Harley.

This is how I find myself actually considering the Honda Valkyrie. It’s a flat six, and a sort of power ranger bike, but it is also a kickass bike. It’s just got more design put into it than some of the other cruiser/tourer bikes.
Literally nobody wanted Victory bikes, why they are no more. Polaris learned and purchased the Indian brand. They have done fairly well, but hardly put a dent in MotorCo sales.

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Literally nobody wanted Victory bikes, why they are no more. Polaris learned and purchased the Indian brand. They have done fairly well, but hardly put a dent in MotorCo sales.
Um. Sure, Ron. <Shrug>

I loved my Victory for the 5 years I owned it, as does nearly everybody I know who owns one.

Polaris can bite my @ss for what it did to its loyal customers and dealer network.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

I still find it sad that Suzuki has, whether permanently or not, cut its Boulevard line to the bone. Four of the first five bikes I ever owned were Suzukis, including two cruisers (one of which sucked, one of which was lots of fun).

·
Super Moderator
25,687 Posts
Millennials are buying bikes, just not cruisers. Sport and naked bikes are what they're into. Go hang out in r/motorcycles for a while.

They're starting off on Ninja 300's them moving on to other sport/naked bikes. The Yamaha FZ series seem to be the most popular.

The only people buying cruisers are middle age+ and are mostly buying them as a status symbol so they're buying Harley and Indian because of brand recognition.

If Harley can't come out with something to attack The millennials and Gen Z after them, their days are numbered. I know, not the most popular opinion, but truth hurts.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts