Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

361 - 380 of 384 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
We've had a wonderful vacation from cancer for the last 1.5 weeks, but tomorrow, it's back to the battle front. My wife starts radiation at 12:30 tomorrow. Another unknown front with new challenges. We're loaded up with everything we can think of to battle any side effects we're worried about.

We've got Aquaphor lotion to treat the skin at the radiation site. She's taking a GERD medication prescribed by the doctor to help with acid issues. She's got a nausea med to take on therapy days. I'm even loaded up for her to do some Beezer Walks if the situation warrants.

Tonight we rest, for tomorrow the war rages on.

·
Super Moderator
22,652 Posts
the prayers continue...hope the day goes as well as it can.

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
The first radiation treatment is in the books. She says that the skin at the radiation site is slightly irritated and was complaining about her knees and back from laying on the table for about 45 minutes, but overall she's doing fine.

As for nausea, she took a sublingual Zofran the Dr prescribed before going in and felt well enough that she decided to have a chili dog for lunch after she got done.

We'll see what the days ahead hold, but for now, I'll stay thankful that she's doing well and we only have four more to do.

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
Second radiation treatment is done. She apparently fell asleep on the table. At the moment, she's doing fine. Of course, that just means that I'm on pins and needles, waiting to see when the side effects hit. I'll take each day as they come and enjoy them until she feels bad.

·
Super Moderator
22,652 Posts
good to hear so far it s been going well...give her a hug from us and remind her the prayers are still coming.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
prayers going your way......

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
She had her third radiation treatment today and is doing really well. So well that I find myself wondering when the side effects are going to kick in. I'm a bit on edge waiting for it, but I'm enjoying every moment I can until it hits. Thanks for checking in, and enjoy the blizzard.

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·
Saw the Dr and got good and meh news.

Tomorrow is her last radiation. They're giving her another round of chemo next Wednesday, CT scan two weeks later, and surgery six weeks from now. The surgeon has been very confident since he got a vascular surgeon signed on with him, so I'm pretty sure this is happening.

We're not looking forward to more chemo, but it's starting to feel like this nightmare might actually be over by fall. All I can do right now is pray and prepare.

·
Super Moderator
22,652 Posts
hows Tanya doing today...hope the weekend goes well for the best of you...

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Thanks for checking in. She's doing well. It's starting to seem like she made it through radiation with very little side effects, just a bit tired. We're not looking forward to more chemo, but if that's what we've got to do to get to the finish line, we'll do it.

It's raining so hard here that I'm expecting Noah to come pick up my dog any minute, so I think we're going to do some cuddle time and watch movies. I'll take whatever peace I can get this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
Just left Tanya for her 7th chemo infusion. Yesterday we discussed it and she just wanted me to drop her at the door. She hasn't had chemo in two months, so there's no side effects or issues to discuss, and we met with the Dr last week, so no questions to ask.

This morning, she asked what my day was like and wanted me to stay with her until she went into the infusion center.

My poor baby. She's so devastated that she has to do this one.

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
She's back home and doing ok. She got a bit of nausea this time, probably because the radiation has worn down her digestive system more than usual. She's also tired and having some minor muscle spasms, but we're back to the way she was on the first or second infusion, so the two month break made a real difference.

I did have a bit of an ah-ha moment last night and it seems to have worked. We know that one of the drugs, oxaliplatin, causes her to have cold sensitivity in her hands, feet, and throat. She's fine with the feet, and she's been able to avoid it in her hands by holding onto frozen water bottles, but she's struggled with her throat on the previous 6 rounds because we didn't know about icing the area before the first one and then after that the ice she was trying to eat tasted bad and hurt her throat so she couldn't keep it up for the full two hours.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before, but last night it dawned on me...

POPSICLES!!!

I sent her with a bunch of popsicles in a cooler and she spent two hours eating them. It seems to have worked and her throat is good today. Yeah, it's probably a bit much on the calories, but if it keeps her throat feeling good, I would say the calories are worth it. Hell, they're pumping her full of glucose anyway, so what's a bit more. Right?

Now we wait until the 19th for her CT scan, and then hopefully the surgery in about a month. We're looking at more chemo after, but that's a bridge to cross later.

Thanks for the prayers and love, guys. 🙏💜

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
POPSICLES!!!

I sent her with a bunch of popsicles in a cooler and she spent two hours eating them. It seems to have worked and her throat is good today. Yeah, it's probably a bit much on the calories, but if it keeps her throat feeling good, I would say the calories are worth it. Hell, they're pumping her full of glucose anyway, so what's a bit more. Right?
Dude, that's inspired!! :D

Thanks for the updates. Continuing to think of you both, and pray for you both.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
AH-HA moments. Ya got to love them till you wonder why you didn't think of it earlier.
Still sending prayers for you both.

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Up extra early this morning because the chemo is doing a number on her stomach.

As if that's not enough, she just talked to her mom and her dad is in the hospital. Apparently he's not doing well. We had already planned to go to Florida next weekend to surprise her mom for mother's day, but now I'm afraid she won't even get to see her dad if he's still in the hospital. I'm not sure when she'll be able to travel again, to be honest I'm not sure she should now, so I'm really hoping he takes a turn for the better before then and comes home.

361 - 380 of 384 Posts