Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

341 - 360 of 366 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
She's actually doing great right now. Her infection is fully under control and she hasn't really had much pain. Just an occasional mild pain in her side if she eats too much. I suspect that there's still some swelling there and her stomach presses on it. It's mild and goes away within an hour or two, so no big deal.

Radiation is set to begin on 4/13 and end on 4/22. I'm not looking forward to it, but praying that it'll get her to the surgery.

Got a bit of bad news yesterday. We met with the chemo oncologist and he is planning to continue with the full folfirinox treatment, which means they'll be giving her oxaliplatin again. That's the stuff that has caused most of her bad side effects. I asked the Dr if it was key to treatment and he was adamant that it is, so we'll soldier through it. At least this time we know what to expect from it and she's recovered from the side effects, so hopefully we'll be able to mitigate them more this time around.

Looking forward to a banana split tonight and a peaceful weekend in the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
Made it to the resort where we got married. Got to walk into the chapel where it all started, saw the cabin where we spent our honeymoon, and are chilling in our cabin for the weekend now.

Chapel

Honeymoon cabin

Current cabin

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #345
We had a wonderful weekend, but it wasn't without its trials and now it appears we'll be paying for it.

Yesterday we gave her the antibiotic around 3:00, and around 6:00 she started complaining that it was cold. She didn't feel like she was running a fever, I felt her body and it did feel cold to the touch, so I wrapped her in blankets and we turned heat on in the cabin to try to get her warm. She finally got warm and felt better around 10:00.

Today, she was fine all the way home and we even went shopping for a bit. She got her antibiotic around 3:00, and around 6:00 she started complaining that she was cold again. I took her temp and it was around 99. I waited a bit and took it again, 100. A bit later, up to 101. Within an hour, she maxed out around 102.

I feel like one of two things is happening. Either she is developing an allergic reaction to the Rocephin, or the infection is taking hold again. She's refusing to see a Dr, and her temp is down, so I don't press her tonight, just keep an eye on her, but I'm afraid she's going to refuse again tomorrow, and she needs to see one. Whichever it is, we need a Dr to make a determination. I don't want her to just stop taking the antibiotic a week early, and I sure don't want the infection to grow, but we're both afraid their going to insist on admitting her again.

Tomorrow is going to be a whole mess of not fun. I could really use some prayers that they don't put her back in the hospital. I don't know if either of us could handle it again this soon.

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
more prayers heading her way...hope she doesn't have to go back in...

·
Super Moderator
9,127 Posts
On the case with prayers, brother.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Looks like the prayers helped. Thank you.

We talked to the home health nurse this morning and she was unconcerned about the fever. She said it wasn't likely a reaction to the antibiotic because it seemed to be happening hours after infusion. She recommended that my wife take some Tylenol along with the infusion.

My wife took the medicine about 3:00 today, along with some Tylenol and we've been talking her temp every hour since. It has been perfectly normal all day.

I don't know what the reason for the fever and chills was, but I'm thankful that she's doing well today and I don't have to be worried she's going to end up in the hospital again.

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
shot in the dark but when she started feeling the fever and chills, it wouldn't have had to do with you perhaps suggesting to re-enact the honeymoon nite escapades...just throwing it out there...

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
shot in the dark but when she started feeling the fever and chills, it wouldn't have had to do with you perhaps suggesting to re-enact the honeymoon nite escapades...just throwing it out there...
🤣

No.

It did coincide with the start of her period though, as did the end of the fever and chills. Oddly enough, so did the fever and chills she experienced at the beginning of February and March. The only thing that throws a wrench in that theory is that they actually found a bacterial infection in March. I guess we'll get some evidence on that one over the next month.

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
My wife's port has been accessed constantly since 3/8, which means she's walking around with a tube stuck to her chest. To give her a break, I had the home health nurse train me on de-accessing it last week. She only needs it for the antibiotic infusion once a day, and home health swaps it out when they come once a week. The plan was for her to do the infusion on the day before home health comes, I would de-access it, then she could have a break without the tube for around 24 hours. She's been complaining that it has been itching and annoying her for a week now.

Today is the day. Home health comes tomorrow.

If the roles were reversed, I'd have rolled out of bed this morning and done the infusion immediately to get that thing off of my chest as soon as possible. My wife has been mulling around the house all day, doing other things, and still hasn't done the antibiotic infusion.

15 years of marriage and I still don't understand this woman.

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
She finally did her infusion and let me take her tap out. If you're curious, this is what has been hanging out of her chest for the last 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Our oncologist gave us his nurse's phone number so that we could call with questions anytime, day or night. We called a few times and it helped.
I see a lot of the others on here are cheering you two on. I told ya you've got a lot of family on here and we won't quit ya.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,484 Posts
so hows the lady lady doing? BTW... hoping you both enjoy a happy easter with your boys.

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
She started at the end of last week saying that her face was itching a bit during the Rocephin infusion, but it went away fairly quickly. It kept getting progressively worse until Thursday. She got the infusion and started itching all over. The itch kept on so bad that she couldn't sit still for about 12 hours after and she was still itching mildly around 20 hours later.

We called the Dr and she told us that it was obviously a reaction to the antibiotic and told us to stop taking it and deaccess her port. Thank goodness!

Since then, she's been great. We even went to my mom's house yesterday for Easter and helped her clean out my dad's gun safe. For now, we're basically pretending that cancer doesn't exist until the 13th, when she starts radiation. Really nice to have a break.

·
Super Moderator
28,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Also, hoping you and your family have a wonderful Easter, Dennis. Thanks for checking in.

341 - 360 of 366 Posts