Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I follow the prescribed method of checking the oil level. Warm engine then check level when bike is vertical. I also always check after a ride. I find the level is good when warm but when I check cold it is usually low, barely on the dipstick. I usually top up when I see it is low when cold. I have added about 1 litre of oil in about 10000km over and above the regular oil changes. I change oil at a little less than 5000km intervals. Is this normal??

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
You've added 2 litres of oil in 10,000km but change oil every 5000km so you add 1 litre of oil between oil changes, correct? That's a lot, you shouldn't be losing that much oil over just 5000km. Have you checked how much oil comes out of the bike when you do your oil changes?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have not added any oil, but I will agree checking the oil level is annoying. I end up sitting on the bike and reaching down. Still seems like the difference between full and not full is a matter of leaning slightly one way or another. Seems to me that if your going to go to the effort of adding a dip stick you could design it in a manner in which it can be checked on the side stand for accuracy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooppps i only added 1 litre extra and other part litre was topping up after oil changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I park the bike in garage and rest it on a 2x4 and plywood blocking to get the bike vertical as I have limited space.

·
Super Moderator
25,574 Posts
waZZZy;3280698 I also always check after a ride. I find the level is good when warm but when I check cold it is usually low said:
if you realize the reading is not accurate when cold ...why are you adding oil... do yourself a big favor and just leave a block of wood where you park your mc in the garage...when you return, slide the block under the side stand before you dismount, then dismount and check your oil level..lot easier and alot more accurate and the next time you go to ride, use that time to check your signals or tire pressures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.