Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a question or opinion on winter storage. I live on Vancouver Island so it doesn't get really cold here but I just use my car in the winter time. I usually clean the bike, fill it up with gas and fuel stabilizer and let it run for 10 minutes to get the stabilizer throughout. Then I cover it. I live in an apartment and don't have power outside so I usually bring my battery inside on a trickle charge. I recently bought a lithium battery so I probably won't do that this year. I bought a jack off of Amazon.ca and was wondering should I jack it up for the winter or leave it on the ground on the kickstand? Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
56,846 Posts
I think you're on the right track and I don't think it matters much if it's on the kickstand. I'd imagine strapped on the lift would be better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some people suggest draining your oil and filling with new, but to over fill it so that condensation can't form inside....just don't forget to drain off extra before you start it in the spring....

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Change the oil. Fill the gas tank, add stabilizer. Fill the tires to 45psi so they don't develop a flat spot. Remove the battery and bring it inside. Cover the bike and kiss it good night until spring.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Change the oil. Fill the gas tank, add stabilizer. Fill the tires to 45psi so they don't develop a flat spot. Remove the battery and bring it inside. Cover the bike and kiss it good night until spring.
Don't forget to pay it a weekly visit and share a beer (or beverage of your choice) with your bike. Every time I walk past mine in the garage over the winter I think of the great rides we've had.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I always jacked the bike to keep the wheels off the ground flat spots do happen, or else park it on thick carpet when I was a snow bird I made 4 12x12 sheets of plywood and glued carpet to the wood and parked my fl car tires on the carpet I still have them and park my front wheel of the bike while the rear wheel sit on a piece of carpet daily

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the information. I have new tires that I am putting on in the spring so I will probably just leave it on the ground this winter. I will change the oil, run some fuel stabilizer through the system and fill the tank to the very top. Thanks everyone and as unhappy as I am to say happy cold season lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No need to. It would be the only article I've ever read suggesting this practice that makes zero sense.
Well that may be the case ...but i found where i read that....in my Suzuki owners manual under Storage procedure...and i quote "Drain the oil thoroughly and refill the crankcase with fresh engine oil all the way up to the filler hole"
Wonder why they would put that in there....zero sense maybe but Suzuki obviously doesn't think so.......so the question is now why this procedure anybody with thoughts on this??

·
Super Moderator
56,846 Posts
Go ahead and do it if you'd like. Maybe to sell more of their branded oil which sucks. My bike wouldn't shift properly and created a life threatening hazard several times.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go ahead and do it if you'd like. Maybe to sell more of their branded oil which sucks. My bike wouldn't shift properly and created a life threatening hazard several times.
I agree with you about their oil ( i won't use it)....the filling up part is only for storage...it goes on to say when it's time to take it out of storage,drain all oil,change filter and fill to recommended level out lined in the manual under changing oil....so it's still just for storage to fill all the way up and i am guessing to keep moisture out??? That was my question to you all who have owned a c50 way longer than i have...i really like the bike and hopefully will keep it a long time...just want to do was it best for it.

·
Super Moderator
56,846 Posts
I understand Mark. I would disregard what the manual says in that regard and just treat it like any other 4 stroke engine. What you read is not commonplace in the real world.

Do you keep it in a heated garage? Are you planning on keeping the battery in it and on a tender where you can fire it up every week or 2?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I understand Mark. I would disregard what the manual says in that regard and just treat it like any other 4 stroke engine. What you read is not commonplace in the real world.

Do you keep it in a heated garage? Are you planning on keeping the battery in it and on a tender where you can fire it up every week or 2?
In all honesty this will be the first winter for me storing a bike....my garage is not heated....i could put a portable heater in it if you think that would help and yes it has a tender plug in installed on it so i will keep the battery in it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts