Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in getting my bike service and noticed they had a used 2009 Yamaha Royal Star Deluxe. Was pretty impressed with the bike and only had 3500 miles. I am looking to move up from my 2009 C50 with something with a bit more power and comfort for the wife. The one concern I have is it is not fuel injected and I love the way my starts right up no matter what the temperature. Also a little concerned as it is 200 pounds heavier. Has any one tried one of these bikes and what are your thoughts.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have a royal star venture, no problems starting it in cold weather, you WILL notice the weight to get it off the kick stand and at very low speed but the power and comfort more than makes up for that, it loves the high RPMs actually the go to mod is to put a Vmax drive in it to raise the engine speed, opposite of our DJ mod.
Take it for a spin!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Heratic

I maybe tied to a stake and burned.

I was visiting some friends and committed an orginal sin! I sat on a GOLDWING! 1800cc and it felt lighter than my V Star 1100 or my brother's C50. I am terrified to start the motor as I might be converted!:biglaugh:

Reactions: Skrapiron

·
Registered
34 Posts
One of our group has a 2004 Venture, he moved to it from a VN900 about 1.5 years ago and is now feeling comfortable on it, 18000km later. It took a lot of getting used to transitioning from a ride like ours, very heavy and requiring ALOT of attention maneuvering at slow speed. However, of the highway, he is a very happy camper. This is a king for long range touring. I've switched up and ridden it a few times and I can attest it is very unlike the boulevard on the highway. Smooth and responsive power despite no FI, really good through the mid range and plenty left at the top end, its happy place seems to be 110-120kph. In the twisties, the weight is appearant and can't be thrown around like the bully. Clearly not designed for this. Momentum is huge just due to the sheer weight and must be planned for accordingly. It'll do twisties, we just did the entire Skyline/Blue Ridge, but he was real tired at the end of the day. As for the carb vs FI, he does need to let it warm up a good 10 min, after which it is a non issue. It's interesting that this bike hasn't really changed at all since I think '98. The '14 model still had a cassette deck. Says something about getting things right in my opinion (although they could probably lose the cassette deck!). Anyway, I like riding it so much, I'm thinking of switching to one myself!

·
Registered
452 Posts

I was visiting some friends and committed an orginal sin! I sat on a GOLDWING! 1800cc and it felt lighter than my V Star 1100 or my brother's C50. I am terrified to start the motor as I might be converted!:biglaugh:
If you start that silky smooth flat six, you would be converted. Take the word from someone that committed that sin and now has a GL1500 in the garage. You must go to the Church of the Heavenly V-Twin to have your sin forgiven. All in good fun.

Good Hunting

·
Administrator
57,126 Posts
Delayed replay.

My son owned one for a while, and I rode it before He bought it, and several times afterward.
Big, heavy, insanely smooth machine.
Great on the interstate, & rock solid when passing 18 wheelers.
Only handling drawback: U-turns are easier performed with a B-52.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Not all Goldwings have to be old man bikes...just sayin..

....Sorry :twisted:

Reactions: Woodswoman

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I had a 2014 out for a couple of hrs. It was relatively nice for comfort but a handful coming up to a stop and keeping balance with a passenger. I do a lot of 2 up and for me it is too heavy. The power was underwhelming. When I dropped 2 gears and cranked it it went ok but 4th & 5th gear roll on was pretty blah. It had some drive line noise I didn't care for as well. It was great to get a really good ride on it with my sweetie. It was enough to rule it out. Not sure what I will end up with. I had a 1670 cc Roadstar for a short ride 2 up and for the cc, I expected more excitement from the motor. It handled very well and didn't feel heavy at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.