Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before - I am new to the forum (and to my bike!)

The 2009 Boulevard was carb'd (not F.I.) and I am wondering what is the best grade of gas to use?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
Don't waste your money on anything other than 87 octane. It has an extremely low compression ratio and you aren't going to get any more power out of it with higher grade gas.

The little thumper is a fun bike. I miss mine.

Reactions: NinjoZuki

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
The LS650/S40 is still in the dark ages, Dennis. The bike is fun as hell and really easy to work on.

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I still ride mine.
I feel like the bear on the tricycle. I can't believe I rode that bike for almost a decade.

Reactions: NinjoZuki

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
how ya been steve...haven't seen you in a long time...hope all is well.
I was waiting for Beezer to break something else to get my attention.

All is well. Still haven't put the bike down for winter, despite traction issues. The tires don't bite when it's cold in the morning. I slid through an intersection about this time last year.
I just need to take a lap around the block to warm them up first.
Hope you guys and gals are all well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
everyone has their own opinion. but let me share this..... low compression or not, high octane just burns cleaner.

i run super 100% of the time in all my bikes.... period end of story. and the intakes valves in ALL my bikes have minimal to no carbon build up. coincidence? i think not :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
That's a product of the detergents in your gasoline, more than the octane rating at the pump. If you buy top tier gasoline, you will get the same results, without having to spend extra per gallon.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
It is either printed on the pump (Costco advertises their blend as top tier) or you can do a google search. You can save a bunch over the course of a year, by using top tier as opposed to buying "premium" simply for the detergent concentration.

·
Super Moderator
24,086 Posts
have used gulf too many times w/o any issues and yet they seem to be on the list for Puerto Rico only...also have always heard that regular was pretty much the same gas wherever you went whereas the premium and middle grades were that of the individual brand...when i travel I try to stay with known brands where as here home I will use the 7/11's and cumberland farms just for convience...only time I really had an issue was from a mom & pop store that either tanks were almost empty and the gas I got was from the bottom of the tanks or they had just filled the tanks stirring up all the bs from the bottom of the tank...took less than a few miles to realize I had picked up bad gas and lucky there was a dealership close by who could clean my carb...traveling tip to all...carry a bottle of seafoam in your saddlebag when traveling just in case you do pick up some bad gas or find the mc running rough...may just be the aspirin it needs to get it to run better,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts