Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the motorcycle world and like to do my own maintenance. I'm hoping to gain some knowledge here. Yesterday I washed my bike. Then I took it for a drive. I rode around town for a little over an hour with no issues. Then the bike felt like it ran a little rough, so I pulled the choke out a bit and it seemed to go away. Then a couple miles later the engine cut off. Initially after engine shut down the bike would fire off for a couple seconds and then shut back down. Now it turns over strong, but won't fire up. I let it sit a while, I pulled the choke, and I pulled back on the throttle a few time (not all at the same time of course).

I'm ready to dig into it, but am looking for some wisdom before I start.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Phil

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
If you are going to do your own maintenance, the first thing to do is obtain a manual. the Clymers manuals are good but there might be others in addition to the factory manual from the dealer.

The one thing that I notice from your post is about the choke. Either it isn't a VL800 or it isn't a 2008.

If it is a 2008, and has a choke, it is most likely a VS800 or S50 as the badge says.

As you likely know, an engine needs 3 things to run correctly... spark, fuel and compression. We won't talk compression problems yet....

The easiest to check is the spark...... It is easier to pull the plug wires for this check if the fuel tank is lifted. A test plug is recommended but you can get by with a screwdriver inserted in the plug clip in the wire end and held next to the engine to see the spark jump. Test both cylinders.

Since the engine cranks over, listen for the fuel pump as it primes the system with fuel when the key is first turned to the run position. If that happens your pump is at least operating so it should start.

Your fuel pump is likely mounted some where on the frame, judging from the parts view.

other possible causes are in the fuel ****/shut off(it could be partially closed) and in the carburators - there are two on the VS800.

here is the parts list for the 2008 VS800.... 2008 Suzuki Boulevard S50 (VS800) OEM Parts, CyclePartsNation Suzuki Parts Nation

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
I'm sorry. You're right. It's a 2004. Apologies. I had a brain fart
OK, A 2004 VL800 has a different fuel system with a vacuum fuel pump and a single carburetor so you won't hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key on. and there is a shutoff valve that is vacuum operated as well.

On the older bikes, the vacuum hoses break down and crack so they don't deliver the necessary vacuum to deliver the fuel. so that is a point to check into.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had a similar problem yesterday. Had been riding all day and bike sputtered and shut off. I knew it was fuel related. Pulled the fuel line, blew back into the tank, cleared the blockage, reinstalled the fuel line, and it fired up and ran fine. Got it back home without issue.

Tank removal and cleaning scheduled this weekend.

I would suggest removing your fuel line at the fuel pump and see if you have fuel. If not, the screen inside the tank could be clogged. Or as Gene said, the vacuum lines could have come off underneath the tank, or could be cracked. The vacuum lines are just above the pair valve on the left side of the engine. They are plugged into a 3 way fitting, not much bigger than a single piece of spaghetti.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress thus far:
- I pulled the tank today. I removed the fuel **** (I'm pretty sure that's what it is) from the bottom of the tank. It has 2 mount bolts and a filament screen attached to it. When trying to blow through it, it was difficult but could be done. There was no noticeable garbage in the screen.

- Traced the lines/hoses from the tank and 3-way valve and everything appeared ok. I have one more line to look at that goes to the carburetor.

- I could not find anything - other than the filament screen mentioned above - that resembled a fuel filter. Is there one beside the screen?

- I pulled and checked the spark plugs too. They both sparked. I read something about the color of the spark mattering, but I didn't really note the color of the spark.

Thanks for the input!

More to come....

Phil

·
Registered
488 Posts
Progress thus far:

- I could not find anything - other than the filament screen mentioned above - that resembled a fuel filter. Is there one beside the screen?

Phil
Unless you have an aftermarket fuel filter added by a previous owner, then, no, other than the screen, that's it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what I did, but now the bike is running. I'm gonna put things back together and ride it around my neighborhood tomorrow to see what happens. I did notice that when input the choke the bike bogs down and either dies or chooses to idle up.

My next question is how do I know what the correct idle setting is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2001 vl800. ok so i have the same symptoms as the OP but i know theres compression and fuel. it turns over very strong but doesn't actually crank. i checked the spark plugs and there was no spark. so i tested the coils and they were passing electricity. i tested it back to the ECU. and i thought the issue was in the ECU so i replaced it. but that didn't do anything. same result. engine turns over strong but not actual crank. so at this point I'm stumped. what else could it be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cut off switch ?
if this is for me "yakmal786". i tested the connection of the cutoff switch with a multimeter and a light probe and it worked just fine. i made sure i that the kick stand was up when trying to start it. i suspect the stator since it has the crank position sensor attached to it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have 2002 Suzuki Volusia and It had Carb mods (re-jetted and needle shimmed) and use cone K&N air filter under the tank (Naked) and ripped out "smog control" and capped the holes on side of Cylinder (Kansas don't do Inspection). It ran fine until I stored my bike for winter. Left it outside in freezing temp for month until I finally cleaned out garage then move bike in. Then last week of January, there were unusual 60 degree weather so I decided to break my bike out and ride. It won't fire up. Checked Sparkplugs and vacuum line plugged and fuel line was new. Tested Petcock is fine and I replaced external fuel filter but no luck. I decided to remove Carb and checked (literally flipped upsidedown and shook it). NO fuel in it (Fuel dried out during long storage). It leads me to Vacuum Fuel pump. I decide to put Carb back in then connect Vaccum line back on. Put tank back on and hooked fuel in. I made sure that vacuum plugged directly from Carb vacuum output to Petcock input (as usual, no "F" line). Removed Fuel line from Carb and let it stick out.. Jump Start bike from my truck and fired it up (it cranked fast). I noticed that it's just dripping a little. That lead me to defective Fuel Pump. Removed Fuel Pump and rip er apart on workbench. Found out that Diaphagm is bad (can see fuel swishing inside vacuum side metal cover behind clear Diaphagm where vaccuum located). I tried to look for Fuel Pump Rebuild kit but there is NONE out there in the Web. I decided to look into alternative Vacuum pump because OEM cost $100 and I'm not spending a penny on that. Found nearly exact one like OEM but have two Output. Muniki DF52-136 sells for $34. I can easily rip it apart and transfer parts to ol' OEM vaccum fuel pump or cap one output.

I spoke with my mechanic friend about Vacuum Fuel Pump and told him that it went bad. He told me that he was at my friend's place yesterday and helped him fire up 2001 Vol (same as mine but red trim, mine is blue). It had exact same problem like mine and it's a funny coincidence!!! Apparently both of our original OEM pump failed at the same time. His Vol is straight "factory" but exhaust unbuffered. His bike is in warm garage throughout. I told him I found DF52-136 Muniki fuel pump for cheaper price because I knew my friend can't afford it cuz he is retiring from job and in tight budget. Hope I helped him as well as myself.. LOL

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Deafvl800rider- do you have any pictures of the new "inexpensive alternative" fuel pump hooked up to your bike? I ordered one that hasn't arrived yet but looking closely at the pictures of it online it appears that all of the flow arrows on it are opposite of the stock. Just curious before I probably install mine upside down or backwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem, 2003 Volusia, I get spark at the plugs, fuel to the carb and it turns over strong , but still won’t start. I parked it about a month and a half ago for rain, ran fine, now won’t start, fuses are all good too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts