Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new Rider and Boulevard M50 Owner.

Just bought a 2007 Boulevard M50 with 9k miles on it.
Previous owner I purchased from says there was rust in the tank but he flushed it out with Rust cleaner(something along those lines, octane boost in gas while riding)
Says there is a fuel injector issue from the rust that causes spuddering while riding but nothing that shouldn't be a huge issue. I thought things would be ok and went for it.

Come to find out after starting up the bike that the engine stalls after 10- 30 seconds after starting up. It also stalls while sitting at stop lights while idling in neutral.

Reached back out to owner today who said mechanic said issue was fuel injector. (But could not say which one it was. Said should be only be one fuel injector but if two should definitely clean both.)[this is when I realized I probably messed up buying the bike]

I haven't started the bike back up since I found out because I didn't want to cause any more damage to bike just in case.

So to make things short. I messed up when buying the Motorcycle but still would like to clean the fuel injectors and remove any rust from the Fuel tank and prevent the idle engine stall issue from happening again.
Also, if y'all have any tips on what I should check for on the bike that could also cause issues as well before I start planning road trips.

NOTE:
oils haven't been changed in the past four months.
Tires are fairly new and the Fork seals don't have any indentions indicating a fall or griminess of leaks when I checked...
But being a new Rider who isn't mechanically inclined.. I probably don't know any better except for the MSF course and youtube videos on purchasing a used motorcycle.

Any information or help y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated.
If y'all have questions please let me know and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Aloha and welcome. I suggest taking it to a reliable mechanic to fix the issue and look over the rest.

·
Registered
2006 C50
22 Posts
Double check that the tank is cleaned up. You can clean the injectors but you might just pump some more trash into them.
And if you're up for a learning experience, you can pull the injectors (there are two) yourself.

·
Registered
20,599 Posts
No, you shouldn't have bought the bike. When the seller told you "he flushed the rust out of the tank", you should have walked the other way. Rust in the tank is cancer and it spreads to the rest of the fuel system. The only way to treat it is to remove the tank, remove the fuel pump, bead blast the interior, then re-line it with an epoxy based rust preventative. In addition to your injectors being plugged with rust, the fuel pump is most likely damaged as well. You will need to replace the injectors (do a search on aftermarket injectors here - someone figured out that a $20 Honda injector is the same) then find someone to clean and re-line your tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, you shouldn't have bought the bike. When the seller told you "he flushed the rust out of the tank", you should have walked the other way. Rust in the tank is cancer and it spreads to the rest of the fuel system. The only way to treat it is to remove the tank, remove the fuel pump, bead blast the interior, then re-line it with an epoxy based rust preventative. In addition to your injectors being plugged with rust, the fuel pump is most likely damaged as well. You will need to replace the injectors (do a search on aftermarket injectors here - someone figured out that a $20 Honda injector is the same) then find someone to clean and re-line your tank.

Would I be able to do the work on my own using an online service manual? And from what I've seen a whole new OEM fuel pump is a bit pricey at the moment.

How can I tell if the fuel pump is bad?
Can I use a hydrochloric acid solution to clean out the tank and use mystery oil to line it afterwards?

·
Registered
20,599 Posts
No. For the love of God, do some research. Lining the tank involves decscaling the interior, then lining with an epoxy. You have to completely disassemble the tank, fuel pump an accessories, then proceed with the cleaning. Professional services will set you back $500 for the project for a reason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts