Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some posts saying these run at 85 and still have some oomph left in em, whereas mine will generally top out at 80-85. Any ideas why this might be or is this roughly what to expect out of them? All stock except for a K&N air filter, bikes at 28k miles.

·
Super Moderator
25,722 Posts
I rode mine from Birmingham to Atlanta. At some point on I-85 I got it up to about 90, but I was on a downhill with the wind at my back. I was wringing it's neck at the time and beating it like a race horse. That was the fastest I ever got it. It's possible that someone with a DJ drive in the bike got it to 85 and still had some throttle left, but I doubt they had much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds about how mine would do, I generally ride at 40-60 anyways, was just curious. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me that the K&N is leaning out the mixture some. The fuel injection is a set map and only later years did they have oxygen sensors. I had a 05 and 09 C50's with stock exhaust and air filter without a fuel processor. I never did run it as fast as I could get it to go. I also had a DJ drive on them. Unless you have a GPS, the speedo error will drop your real road speed. I suspect with the DJ it might actually go faster in 4th than 5th. Don't know if anybody tried it.
The bike is not made to go that fast and would be beating on it really hard. The engine is not especially robust to begin with.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I bought my '08 the previous owner had put a K&N filter on it. When I asked why it had been installed he told me it was because it had been locally available and he didn't want to order an OEM filter. Top speed was around 85, gas mileage averaged in the low 40s, and I got a good deal of exhaust popping on deceleration. Just for the heck of it I switched to an OEM paper filter. Power increased, acceleration was stronger, mileage went up, top speed went to a good 95 (which I rarely approach) and no more popping. Maybe it was coincidence, but the difference was so noticeable that I soon bought a second filter on sale to have on hand the next time it needs changing.

·
Super Moderator
25,722 Posts
If you do have an aftermarket air filter you need a Power Commander on the bike to adjust the fuel-air mix or you will definitely have loss of power and bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
There's no reason to run an 800cc bike at 85 mph. None whatsoever.

Reactions: marks146

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
I have. Took 20 to 26 all the way to Charleston. I was flat out, in the right lane at 88mph, being passed by semis on the left. That was when I decided I needed a bigger bike.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
267 Posts
Heading across the plains, the speed limit on I90 is 80mph. My 2009 C50 handles it with no problem, even loaded up. I've gone up to 85 easily for short periods, but I don't think it would do much more.
Truth be told, I don't want to do much more.
For me, anything above 80mph crosses my borderline where cruising turns from fun and relaxing and becomes a chore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Volusia gets up and goes. I’ve had it at above 95 (so sayeth the speedo) I don’t normally ride that fast but was getting out of a big rigs way on the I-70 just outside of St. Louis. It is modified with filter, carb, and full exhaust. I don’t know what else the guy before me did to it but it is faster than the specs say it should be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've seen some posts saying these run at 85 and still have some oomph left in em, whereas mine will generally top out at 80-85. Any ideas why this might be or is this roughly what to expect out of them? All stock except for a K&N air filter, bikes at 28k miles.

I have an 06 boulevard and I've had it up to 100 and still climbing so they don't top out at 80-85 mph by any means.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My '05 would pull to about ~98-100 indicated on the speedo, which is more like 90-92 in real life. That's absolutely pinned, tucked down, all she's got. Stock with Cobra pipes with baffles.

Absolutely maxing at 80-85 sounds a bit low, it should have a bit more to give. Engine might be a little tired- do a compression check. These engines are not known for being particularly durable, especially with extended high speed use.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
You are definitely running the engine at the top of its range. Depending on the mods, you might get a little more or less, but the VL800 engine was designed for casual cruising with occasional bursts of speed. Run one of these at its top all the time will cause the engine to burn oil and eventually fail. They are not super durable engines when pushed hard. Treat them gently and some of us have gotten 100K +/- If you find that you are doing a lot more highway riding, you will most likely want to get a bigger bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've ordered an OEM filter, just to see if I notice any real difference with the K&N. One issue I've had is some hills around here make the bike struggle, like I'm on full throttle just to maintain @ 55mph. Eventually I'd like to get exhaust and a bully for it, but that'll be a while. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are definitely running the engine at the top of its range. Depending on the mods, you might get a little more or less, but the VL800 engine was designed for casual cruising with occasional bursts of speed. Run one of these at its top all the time will cause the engine to burn oil and eventually fail. They are not super durable engines when pushed hard. Treat them gently and some of us have gotten 100K +/- If you find that you are doing a lot more highway riding, you will most likely want to get a bigger bike.

I run a tunable power commander and I also run around 75- 80 mph no higher on the interstate's and 45-50 in town/hwy

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
At 80 mph, you're slinging the two pistons around at 5,000 rpm. That's not good, for you or for the longevity of the engine.

Reactions: chromedome1954

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
At 80 mph, you're slinging the two pistons around at 5,000 rpm. That's not good, for you or for the longevity of the engine.
Some men just want to watch the world (or their bike) burn.

·
Registered
17 Posts

at 75- 80 mine runs quiet smooth and just like butter so I don't know what's going on with yours but mines taken care of oiled and all, shit she's perfect.These motors are bullet proof along as you care for them properly.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts