Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the Search tool with too many irrelevant results to wade through. Sorry I'm new. I'm at 600 miles on my '07 C50, and I'm changing the Final Gear Oil. The Owner's manual is not clear on what type to use. Anyone have a favorite? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I use Amsoil 75W-90 synthetic gear oil in my 07 C50. I changed it at 500 miles then again at 1000 miles to get rid of all the break-in filings that occour on new gears. I probably will not change it again until the manual says to. I like to use synthetic gear oil because of the high shearing of the drive gears.

Hope this helps

-Rick

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
welcome frome central florida

I use it too.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
duncanjhome said:
I used the Search tool with too many irrelevant results to wade through. Sorry I'm new. I'm at 600 miles on my '07 C50, and I'm changing the Final Gear Oil. The Owner's manual is not clear on what type to use. Anyone have a favorite? Thanks in advance.
WELCOME to the VR first time poster! Stop over in the New Members section and introduce yourself when you get a moment.

Like Rick51 I too have used Amsoil synthetic as my final gear oil for some 12,000 miles now.

But....Mr. E piped in on one of the discussions previously and gave a fairly strong, and almost convincing, argument against using synthetic oil in the final drive.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My '07 C50 manual says SAE 90 hypoid gear oil rated GL-5.
(Unless you operate where ambient temps are below freezing :shock: , then use SAE 80 hypoid gear oil)
I run an 80W-90 hypoid oil I picked up at NAPA or Wal-Mart.

I changed mine at 500 and again at 1000 miles or so to get rid of the metal floating around in it. ( take a look at the used gear oil in bright sunshine and you'll see what I mean)
The drain plug has a small magnet in it. Be sure to wipe it clean before replacing it.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Hello and welcome from Connecticut. OTG mentioned Mr. Efficiency bringing a very good argument against synthetics in the final drive and he convinced me, so I am using Pennzoil 80W90. Heck it's cheap enough to change it every 500 miles if you wish. I plan on changing it every 2-3k miles.

I do run Shell Rotella T in the engine, however.

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
duncanjhome said:
WELCOME, new member.

Pete

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
fiver said:
Any one have a link to Mr. E's post? My search was fruitless.

Thanks,
Caution about getting Mr. E going on any subject.

I used Valvoline Hypoid 90W 140 last time, with no issues on the bike I have.

I like heavier weights because it's very warm here during riding season.

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
I use 75/90 BMW hypoid gear oil or SWEPCO 75/90 (which is really the choice of the high performance guys.)

Anyway, I have discussed, in previous posts, that synthetic lubricants in final drives are not my #1 choice. Some of my favorite shaft drive gurus (guys who have been working on shaft drive bikes for many years.) state their is a reasonable probability that many of the things that make synthetic lubricants good, make them bad for final drive units. Some as gone as far as saying that they could possibly be the culprit to some final drive failures.

Now I'm not sure whether or not I buy into that, but I can tell you that I've ridden shaft drive bikes for 25 years and have never had a problem using Dino 75/90 or SWEPCO. I also know that Formula One and NASCAR use the SWEPCO right out of the bucket. I have also avoided using synthetics period and I've never had problems (although I am currently doing a free synthetic taste test in all my road bikes of Mobil synth)

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
E, perhaps you should confirm your recommendation of Pennzoil 80W90 as an alternative to the BWM oil ... :wink:

·
Administrator
29,689 Posts
I am certainly one of those guys that believes pennzoil and BMW gear lube are probably poured at the same factory. Now the SWEPCO is the good stuff but you kind of have to go on a scavenger hunt or order it by the gallon.

The BMW dealer is always good for tossing me a quart of gear oil while I'm buying stuff, so I use it. You can certainly use it or any other reputable brand. Occasioanlly, I'll go by a porsche dealer and beg a quart of SWEPCO.

I also agree with frequency. Changing gear oil, which takes about 10 minutes, more frequently is most def better than putting in a "high use" synthetic and letting it go longer.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Mr. Efficiency said:
I also agree with frequency. Changing gear oil, which takes about 10 minutes, more frequently is most def better than putting in a "high use" synthetic and letting it go longer.

Plus one quart lasts you about 3 or 4 changes - one of the cheapest maintenance you can possibly do ;)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
^^^^

I'll agree with that as well. I use the Mobile 1 stuff but change it the same time as my engine oil which is generally around 3500-4000 miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts