Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys first time poster, long time lurker. I recently just picked up this boulevard M50 because of a "knocking" issue. I was hoping it was the valves, but after a valve adjustment it's still knocking (both cylinders are at 165psi on a cold compression test), I have read alot about the cam chains becoming loose and making a "sewing machine" noise. I have not tested the cam tensioners yet but was hoping someone on here could listen to my video and have a better idea on what to check than I do(wrist pin? Crank seal? Piston rod?) I don't mind dropping the engine, but splitting the crankcase may be beyond my abilities/desires. Any input would be greatly appreciated:

Yanny for life, son!

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
220-185psi is normal compression. 165 psi is low compression. 152 psi is the service limit. The knocking and low compression tells me that the engine is in need of a complete overhaul, which will set you back more than $1500 for parts alone.

Reactions: Psyc0

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea you are definitely right about those compression specs. When I did the compression test the bike was cold. I did not want to warm it up while it was making that noise, not sure what kind of effect the "cold" state would have on those numbers, I was always told to do compression tests with a warmed up engine. Saw some guy on YouTube that had a similar sounding knock, for him it was the roller bearing that goes around the piston wrist pin. Did you watch the video? Still hoping it has something to do with the cam chain

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Yes, I watched the video. It's in the connecting arm, wrist pin, crank journal or piston. That means a complete overhaul...... Your best bet would be to source a low mileage used engine and swap it in. Budget $1200-$1500 for the engine and another $500 for the labor. Trying to fix the internal damage with individual parts will cost you about double that.

Reactions: Duffy and Psyc0

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wouldnt even bother changing the engine out. I'd sell it, should get what you paid unless you paid thru the nose for it. Then pay extra for a good example and just ride it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts