Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls,

Bike has just passed 60k. I've talked to my tech and I will drop it off at the shop next Monday for a valve adjustment which is probably it's last one. I've got a low mileage engine sitting in the garage that I will go through top to bottom and then swap it in when I know the current one is done. I hope to get through the rest of this year. I bought the bike 4 years plus 2 weeks ago with 12k on it. 48k in 48 months. The bottom end is getting a little tingy, so I know the chain is stretched some. Don't have to change oil with the filter because I'm adding a qt of fresh oil every 1000 miles or so.

·
Administrator
52,285 Posts
Just for kicks and giggles......why not install the replacement motor prior to the rods going through the cases on the original?
A parts motor, which hasn't been obliterated, surely will bring more money than one which is only sold as scrap metal.

BTW: Congrats on the many accumulated miles! 8)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just for kicks and giggles......why not install the replacement motor prior to the rods going through the cases on the original?
A parts motor, which hasn't been obliterated, surely will bring more money than one which is only sold as scrap metal.

BTW: Congrats on the many accumulated miles! 8)
Good question Psyco, my plan is to take my time, learn about how to dismantle the engine down to the crank and inspect and replace anything that needs to be done. The parts bike I acquired had a bad valve adjustment done, as I was told, and not running when I trailered it home. I will rebuild and update components where needed. Hopefully, I get to do that over several months. If my current engine craters, that timeline will change dramatically. I didn't pay anything for the parts bike and sold several hundred dollars worth of accessories and components to include the frame, harness, wheels, swing arm, etc, etc. The income from the parts sales is my fund for engine rebuild.

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
I'm with psycho and the others. Why not put the GOOD engine in your frame BEFORE you have to???? Your motor is going south in a hurry. 1 quart every 1000 miles is excessive and it is not going to get any better. With your hobby of taking long trips, that can come back to bite you in the butt, thinking you're good on oil, but the engine finally let go and runs itself dry leaving you stranded. Trust me. When it goes, it happens quickly and without warning....

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with psycho and the others. Why not put the GOOD engine in your frame BEFORE you have to???? Your motor is going south in a hurry. 1 quart every 1000 miles is excessive and it is not going to get any better. With your hobby of taking long trips, that can come back to bite you in the butt, thinking you're good on oil, but the engine finally let go and runs itself dry leaving you stranded. Trust me. When it goes, it happens quickly and without warning....
Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it... Hahaha. Not ready to tear the other motor down this week, next week, week after, etc. and replace key components, check piston ring grooves, main bearings etc. I don't know the maintence history of the replacement and won't know until I break into it to see tell tale signs of heat, abuse. I'm mechanically inclined but not since a young fella have I tore into a motor. Just removing parts down to the skeleton from the parts bike was a huge learning process for me and I realized right tools for the right job is crucial. As stated, I hope to have the time to do it at my own pace within work, pleasure, schedule. I've got 2 unique rallies coming up in May that will allow me to ride my vintage Enfield for several hundred miles. That requires some routine maintence on the old bike to make sure it's a roundtrip ride... New chain, larger front sprocket to reduce rpm's, new saddlebags, clutch adjustment, tappet adjustment and acquire spare cables.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With that being said, the motor could die tomorrow on the way to work and I'll be the first to say " you told me so". The down time would be less than desirable to check the replacement but is still necessary for me to swap. I'm kind of partial to the current engine due to miles we traveled together and places we've been. CA coast, FL coast, Colonial Mexico, Grand Canyon, 800 miles of CO, mostly 2 up. I hope to rebuild the current motor once swapped out and find a good home for it as well. If, I don't push it too far...

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
Well, good luck. And keep your cell phone charged! You're more of a gamblin' man than I :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Any chance you got any of this sitting around?
-06 Front fender (black); just the fender
-Rear brake pedal; just the pedal arm with rubber on it
-Head light rim
-RH turn signal lens
-turn signal bracket
-floor board spring

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any chance you got any of this sitting around?
-06 Front fender (black); just the fender
-Rear brake pedal; just the pedal arm with rubber on it
-Head light rim
-RH turn signal lens
-turn signal bracket
-floor board spring
No parts. All sold.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well boys and girls,

Bike has just passed 60k. I've talked to my tech and I will drop it off at the shop next Monday for a valve adjustment which is probably it's last one. I've got a low mileage engine sitting in the garage that I will go through top to bottom and then swap it in when I know the current one is done. I hope to get through the rest of this year. I bought the bike 4 years plus 2 weeks ago with 12k on it. 48k in 48 months. The bottom end is getting a little tingy, so I know the chain is stretched some. Don't have to change oil with the filter because I'm adding a qt of fresh oil every 1000 miles or so.
Well whenever you finally decide to swap the motor is up to you. But I just wanted to say my hat's off to ya for putting so many miles on your C50!! that's great! Love hearing about some really high mile ones out there. Way too many bikes(especially jap bikes) get purchased and then just sit 99.9% of their life in the garage like it's some sort of man trophy. Sick of it. I don't really care what bike anyone has, just get on it and ride:wayhappy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Shouldn't be worn out at 60k. Maybe you need to review your maintenance standards.
Filters still get dirty even if they use oil. Have you changed the air filter? A dirty air filter will cause it to burn oil.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shouldn't be worn out at 60k. Maybe you need to review your maintenance standards.
Filters still get dirty even if they use oil. Have you changed the air filter? A dirty air filter will cause it to burn oil.
I use the K&N lifetime air filter. Every oil change, I wash and clean the filter and re-oil it. The engine area that wears out is the timing chain components. Been using Mobil 1 synthetic for all of its miles. The other components of the engine still probably have life in them but when the chain goes, the cost of repair and labor is generally more than many riders want to spend on a high mileage bike. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts