Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I purchased a 07 C50 last year and love the bike. Would like a little more power, so am looking at the C90's. Found one with 59000 miles. Seems like a ton of miles. The price seems pretty high also. Should I keep looking for a lower mileage bike. Are the C90's as bullet proof as the C50's? Here is the link to the ad.
Thanks for any advice.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
C90s have microscopic fuel tanks (I think a Zippo lighter holds more fuel!) and a chronic problem with the charging system burning up stators and rectifiers. There have been a bunch of 'fixes' offered to improve the reliability of the charging system over the years, but none have been successful. The latest mod, involves lengthening the wires moving the R/R out to the frame as well as a re-wound stator. I have a friend who did the mod, after putting in his second stator at 63,000 miles and had the third fail again at 91,000 miles. He finally just got rid of the bike and bought a Harley.

The asking price is on-par for a bike in excellent condition, with fewer miles. At most, that bike should fetch about $3000 on the open market.

·
Super Moderator
20,463 Posts
just totaled my 05 c90 I had bought back in 2010 with 15k...the bike does have a history or at least that particular year of having stator problems...I was going to replace it rather than wait for it to fail but my service guy advised against it on the advice that while it is a concern not all his c90 owners ever had any problems... I took a chance and shortly after, the stator failed. Replaced with a oem stator hearing they had re-engineered the stator to correct the flaw causing the problem of the failures and for me the replacement never had any problems...my bike was at the 64k mark...earlier models had a smaller gas tank...the 05 had a 3.6 tank and with the fuel injection I got better mileage mid to hi 40's than I did with my 04 volusia low 40's...ride is pretty much identical with the gas being stored in the bottom of the bike...not what appears to be the top...good center of gravity and needless to say a little more comfortable if you have long legs like me. Open road...1500 engine does what it should. Not going to win any races if you're into that...but there are processors available to give you the horsepower if you so desire. I was very pleased with the bike and considering another one while I shop and research others for a replacement. From what I've heard they should give you some good miles...as for the price in my present search, you can do better mileage wise. I'd be more concerned at that price to see if he could show me a history of the bike...what I feel is acceptable maintaining a bike and what the next guy does to his and how often...we're all different...some like me, anal, some just put in gas and ride. How the bike is dressed of course will also be a factor..if you've experienced dressing your previous ride you'll understand how costly over the years that can be. Take your time and shop if you're in no hurry. As itchy as I am right now to get back in the saddle, I hope to make the right decision. There really are alot of good used bikes out there...low mileage. Good luck...

lots of good info here...

Delphi Forums Login - Welcome! Please log in.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Well obviously it has been ridden a lot. The miles aren't terrible for the age but you can often find low-mileage bikes around, so patience may pay off. I don't know why some folks make such a big deal about the fuel tank. The C90's fuel tank is really no big problem depending on how you ride and what the fuel/exhaust setup is. My C90 gets the same mileage as my Volusia did and that translates to 175 miles per tank on the C90, down slightly from 205-210 miles per tank on my Volusia. I don't care much for the superslab so I typically ride back/country/secondary roads and go for 2 or 3 hours before stopping for a stretch and gas. I've never had to stop for gas before wanting to stop for a stretch. I'd stop every 3 hours no matter how large my tank was. Gman sells an aux tank that lots of folks have put on to add 2 or 2.5 gallons. C90's of that era have a reputation for stator burnout although I've yet to meet a C90 owner who has actually encountered that problem. Since the stator problem seems to stem largely from heat buildup, the kind of riding you do and your location can certainly make a difference to the risk of a stator problem. Typically folks get a R/R 602 installed for a couple of hundred bucks and that significantly reduces the risk of anything happening, depending, as I mentioned, on your riding style and location. I looked at a Kaw 1500 and 1600, Yammie RSTD, and Vstar 1300, but I preferred and bought the C90 and just love it. It's sweeeeeeeeeeet. One thing you can't do with the C90 that you can with a C50/Vol is the Honest Abe mod on the exhaust. You need to buy aftermarket pipes if you want a deeper sound.

If you haven't already done so, you might seriously think about your riding location/environment and style, and plans for touring, and then assess each bike on the basis of the relative pros and cons. I'm always amazed at the low-mileage bikes around so don't be in a rush.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts