Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just finished swapping out the yolk/u joint, reinstalling the swingarm after changing out cush lever assembly, shock, bearings and all other related suspension parts due to major rust and parts seizing. I have reinstalled the final drive,changed drive oil, and installed the rear wheel. I did not do any adjustments to the clutch, but now when depressing the lever, the wheel and drive shaft do not move freely. I can shift the bike into neutral without using the clutch lever and they do move freely. I quickly adjusted the clutch, but no change. Any ideas before I go to really fiddling with the clutch adjustment?

2nd question. I changed out the u joint due to a clunking when accelerating from stop or low speed, as in coming out of a low speed turn( similar to when cush drive on a chain bike is worn) I can rotate the wheel about 6 or more inches forward and backward. Is this normal? Or is there an issue with the internal drive gears? There was no noticeable play is the final drive when removed from the bike, but I could turn the engine side assembly that the u joint attached to about 1/4 inch in either direction.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
How long has the bike been sitting with the clutch engaged?

I know that when my C50 has been sitting for a while, the bike is quote difficult to push even with the clutch lever pulled in.

The wheel should turn freely when the bike transmission is in neutral.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, phone acting up a bit. It has been up on lift since August, but I have put it in neutral and in gear while removing and installing the u joint and final drive. I'm wondering if the friction plates are stuck together. I am probably going to take them out and see.
The wheel does move freely in neutral, it is just that the the clutch lever has no effect on releasing or engaging the gears.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Do you think you missed getting the drive shaft into the Ujoint I would think the gear case would not slide in flush to the shaft tube mount flange if that were the case.

Most of the people who had a rear drive fail, it was the splines of the drive shaft where it is connected to the rear gear case. There is a dust seal around the shaft, a large snap ring under it. There is a spring inside to keep tension on the shaft forward. Suzuki was notorious for either not putting any lube on those splines or very little. The lubricant to use is a Moly paste. Suzuki and Honda both have this product. Don't confuse it with a moly grease as moly grease has only a small amount of that in it. If you didn't have the shaft completely out of the gear case you might consider doing so and lubing it up nice with the specified lubricant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is one thing I'm and definitely sure of. It took 1hr and a 15 min break to get that thing in correctly. Everything else was good, and I used the correct lubricant. I can hear and feel the movement in neutral. But thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts