Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heeling, ftp. I have a 04 vl800 that I have replaced the fuel petcock, 2nd air valve, fuel pump (not in tank) & had the carb rebuilt... I still can't get it to crank. I replaced all the fuel components because when I put I bit of fuel in the fuel line it would turn over. Now that I've replaced everything, it won't do jack. Do I need to prime the fuel system somehow? Is it possible that the new vacuum lines I put on aren't tight enough? I've vacuum tested the new petcock and it will release fuel when a vacuum is applied. I'm so close to getting her, I can feel it. Anything helps, thanks.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
make sure your choke is functional at the carb, make sure it's on, buy a can of starter fluid, make sure the battery's fully charged.
Now, remove airbox cover (leave air filter on) and start cranking...and cranking....and cranking...and even more cranking while spraying bursts of starter fluid at the air filter until the engine catches, then keep giving it puffs of ether until it's obvious that the fuel system has FINALLY primed. and the carb is getting fuel.

·
Registered
21,201 Posts
If the carb and the lines are DRY, it will take FOREVER to start the bike. You need to start with a completely charged battery pull the choke completely out and be ready to lay on the starter for minutes on end. Using ether to kick-start the engine is a good idea as this will increase the vacuum pressure and get fuel to the system more quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the carb and the lines are DRY, it will take FOREVER to start the bike. You need to start with a completely charged battery pull the choke completely out and be ready to lay on the starter for minutes on end. Using ether to kick-start the engine is a good idea as this will increase the vacuum pressure and get fuel to the system more quickly.
I just used up my first can of starter fluid. I have a brand new petcock fuel pump brand new second air valve and just had the carburetor rebuilt. I still can't get it to idle, but as long as I put starting fluid in it it will run. I tried the idle screw adjustment and still didn't have any better luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. I caught the bike on fire while trying to start it with starting fluid. It just will not prime. I can Rev the motor and keep it running, as long as I feed it starting fluid. I replaced the vacuum lines, Idk what else to check. May break down and carry it to the shop

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, this is what I've figured out... it will idle for a short while, if I remove the vacuum line from "F" splitter and I applied a vacuum with a syringe. The fuel flowed under vacuum so I put the fuel line back on the fuel pump. It will idle until the line is empty from my syringe vacuum. So, I have a brand new 2nd air system that is supposed to pull vacuum from the motor... I believe it isn't working or maybe a larger hose has a crack....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts