Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this bike about 2-3 weeks ago. The owner said it had been garaged for a good year and some time prior to putting it for sale. I've tried riding and all of the sudden when riding it loses gas flow when "dogging" the accelerator, it also happens when trying to push it up hill or a inclined road. It doesn't happen when going downhill. I replaced the spark plugs, took it out for a spin and still did the same. I'm new here and back onto riding motorcycles after almost 15 years of absence. Thanks in advance as to any suggestions about the issue might be.

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
check all vac lines, also

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
also, shoot me a pm with your email and i can send you a pdf of the shop manul

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
X2 on what has been said already. Also, run a couple of tanks of fuel with half a bottle of Seafoam through the bike. Bikes don't like sitting and it sounds like you have fuel issues. Also, check the small vacuum lines attached to the petcock on the bottom of the tank on the left hand side of the bike. Volusia's do not have manual fuel petcock, but rather a vacuum actuated one. The small vacuum hose cracks and doesn't open up the fuel valve all the way, starving the engine when you call for fuel. (Ask me how I know). Super cheap and easy fix.

Now, there are a number of things you should do to any bike that has been sitting and with an unknown history of service. First and foremost is to check the production date on the tires. Regardless of how they look, if they are five years or older, the MUST be replaced. (tubes and stems also). Yes, this is an expensive item, but your safety is depending upon a patch of rubber less than the area of your palm. When a tire fails, you crash. Riding on old tires is worse than playing Russian Roulette. Many members have chosen Michelin Commander II's for their rides.

Look around the forum and see what else you are going to need to do to insure trouble-free riding. Things like complete fluid changes, brake line replacement/upgrades, fuel lines and fuel pump service are common. Might want to check if a valve adjustment is recommended. (The bike should sound like an angry sewing machine. A quiet bike means the valves are too tight).

Some items that can cause mysterious gremlins are the kick stand switch and the ignition switch. (Be sure to got through the bike and clean all the electrical contacts you can reach).

WARNING: The fastest way to start a fight here and become an outcast is to ask any question regarding what weight oil is best or what brand to use. Don't go there! LOL

Other than that, welcome to the Forum and we're happy to have you here. Lots of friendly folks with TONS of experience and advise. Jump right in and join in the madness. Just don't feed the Monkey...bananas give him gas!

Ride Safe and Often!

·
Administrator
53,365 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the same. Bought a 2002 Volusia 800 that had sat up for 4 years. I did basically everything LeLimo man said and it took about 6 months of riding but now other than a speedometer issue the bike runs great and is fun to ride. Enjoy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the same bike. When I got it, the tank, fuel lines, and fuel pump were all full of rust. I used Evapo Rust to clean the tank, replaced the fuel lines, added a clear inline fuel filter, and cleaned out the fuel pump. The manual says the replace the pump but it’s $100 or so, so I figured why not try to repair it first. Seems to have worked. Now the bike runs no problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The vacuum fuel petcock on the tank could be bad. They fail quite often. Mine did (04 VL800) and the bike first ran rough/bogged and finally wouldn't sttart. I replaced mine with a manually operated valve like the on ebelow but, there are rebuild kits out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Petcock-For-Yamaha-YZ125-YZ85-YZ400-YZ450F-YZ250-YZ426F-SR400-FZ1/264352626710?fits=Make:Yamaha&hash=item3d8ca4f816:g:n5oAAOSw3ShcrlyQ

Frank
The link is for a fuel Percocet for a Yamaha YZ. Does that fit as a direct replacement for the VL800?

·
Registered
20,895 Posts
No. He used that link to give an idea as to what to look for.

·
Super Moderator
4,461 Posts
OK again, Fred

1 - 17 of 17 Posts