Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike runs great. Bone stock bike with cut out baffles. Front cylinder head replaced last summer (maybe 4k miles ago) this past weekend while going down the highway 5th gear 70mph tried to accelerate and bike looses all power then back fires. Won't back fire if I come off throttle as soon as it loses power. Was able to recreate backfire during aggressive acceleration in 3rd,4th and 5th. Im thinking it's a carb problem but also maybe a valve adjustment issue? Anyone else had this issue? Don't have the money to keep throwing money at it so would like to get it on the first go.

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
You dont say how many miles are on the bike, but I'll take a guess anyway. Backfiring is always caused by an over-lean condition. You gutted your pipes, with an otherwise stock carb, meaning you made a lean air fuel ratio worse. I would immediately suspect the carb needs to be pulled, cleaned and for the love of god, rejetted. While you have it apart go ahead and swap the spark plugs (they're likely cooked from excessive cylinder heat) and then check the valve clearance as a matter of maintenance.

Reactions: ThatZack

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bike had about 30k miles I'm guessing, speedo don't work right it reads double. And plugs where changed Thursday before all this started happening. Is there a company you'd recommend getting the jet kit from?

·
Registered
21,043 Posts
Do a search for "Carb Jetting Matrix". Match up YOUR particular setup with the matrix and then order the individual jets. Jet "kits" are built around expected tunes and may not have the right jet for your setup.

Reactions: ThatZack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bike runs great. Bone stock bike with cut out baffles. Front cylinder head replaced last summer (maybe 4k miles ago) this past weekend while going down the highway 5th gear 70mph tried to accelerate and bike looses all power then back fires. Won't back fire if I come off throttle as soon as it loses power. Was able to recreate backfire during aggressive acceleration in 3rd,4th and 5th. Im thinking it's a carb problem but also maybe a valve adjustment issue? Anyone else had this issue? Don't have the money to keep throwing money at it so would like to get it on the first go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts