Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a volusia from my uncle in law yesterday, its a 2003 Volusia and has 44,xxx miles he wants $2k for it but hasn't ran since Jan 2021. when i tried to move it out the shed he had it in, the back tire was locked and i could not get it to shift any gears, im still a amateur at fixing motorcycles but i always do my research on parts and stuff, but i want to know what i should tackle first to try to fix this bike before i buy it. Even with the clutch pulled in the back tire does not free up, day before yesterday the gears shifted but it would not go to neutral and now its just not shifting at all, it feels slightly like it is shifting but it doesnt go all the way up or down. I read a post that i should start with a oil change due to the same oil for the motor and tranny but i figured i would start with the clutch first due to it not engaging like it should? i need opinions on what might be the problem or suggestions on what to start doing with it. Thanks for reading! Excited to be part of the Volusia team! but this is the first one i have seen/heard of.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
1. you're going to have to roll it forward and back while fiddling with the shifter...probably best to make several downshift attempts before looking for neutral. this gearbox tends to be a pain in the ass when it wants to...especially when the bike is not moving.

2. The clutch is definitely in need of lubrication between its plates (dry and stuck together from sitting). tighten up the clutch cable, squeeze and release the clutch lever several times, then put the bike in gear and while holding the clutch in roll the bike back and forth as far as it will roll...should pop it loose.

Assuming you have not started the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. you're going to have to roll it forward and back while fiddling with the shifter...probably best to make several downshift attempts before looking for neutral. this gearbox tends to be a pain in the ass when it wants to...especially when the bike is not moving.

2. The clutch is definitely in need of lubrication between its plates (dry and stuck together from sitting). tighten up the clutch cable, squeeze and release the clutch lever several times, then put the bike in gear and while holding the clutch in roll the bike back and forth as far as it will roll...should pop it loose.

Assuming you have not started the bike.
Me and my father did try to start the bike assuming the neutral light was blown, but it did try to fire. after that the bike tried to roll forwards when we tried to start it.

·
Super Moderator
33,528 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

The drive shaft may be seized, or it could be the clutch isn't working.

·
Super Moderator
25,602 Posts
I'd pass on the bike...already issues and you haven't even ridden it around the block...might be something simple but unless he can show you paperwork showing you whats been done, for 2K...check out other mc's before you pull the trigger on that one... btw...never heard of a uncle in law.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd pass on the bike...already issues and you haven't even ridden it around the block...might be something simple but unless he can show you paperwork showing you whats been done, for 2K...check out other mc's before you pull the trigger on that one... btw...never heard of a uncle in law.
Well my wife's dad owned it before he passed away when my wife was 16, it was the last bike she ever road with him with and I wasn't able to meet him and she said this is one of the only bikes she will let me have 😅

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also I don't have to pay yet and im sure he will go down on the price if not pay me to fix it at least

·
Super Moderator
33,528 Posts
If you search the forum, I'm sure you'll find quite a few threads about rebuilding the drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I removed the clutch cover and seems the clutch is pulling so idk
the friction discs and plates stick to each other after sitting for long periods of time, just because the pressure plate moves it does not mean they spin independently from each other...since youve pulled the cover go ahead and disassemble the clutch pack and reassemble it with oil coating the plates.

Odds are the neutral light works, but the bike is in a higher gear than you think (it happens, especially if you fiddle with the shifter when the bike is not moving and/or running)...there are two ways to resolve this:
1. have someone gently roll the bike back and forth while you try to shift down, until it doesn't shift anymore.
2. Much easier way: jack bike up until the rear tire is free from the floor, either with a bike jack or a floor jack slid under from kickstand side then gently roll tire back and forth while trying to downshift.

Either way will get you into first then it's pretty easy to pop it into neutral by hand.

Of course if you can get it to neutral and started, you can usually get the clutch free by starting the bike and putting it into gear once or twice (Holding the clutch lever in, with the bike on the ground and otherwise ready to ride,)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the friction discs and plates stick to each other after sitting for long periods of time, just because the pressure plate moves it does not mean they spin independently from each other...since youve pulled the cover go ahead and disassemble the clutch pack and reassemble it with oil coating the plates.

Odds are the neutral light works, but the bike is in a higher gear than you think (it happens, especially if you fiddle with the shifter when the bike is not moving and/or running)...there are two ways to resolve this:
1. have someone gently roll the bike back and forth while you try to shift down, until it doesn't shift anymore.
2. Much easier way: jack bike up until the rear tire is free from the floor, either with a bike jack or a floor jack slid under from kickstand side then gently roll tire back and forth while trying to downshift.

Either way will get you into first then it's pretty easy to pop it into neutral by hand.

Of course if you can get it to neutral and started, you can usually get the clutch free by starting the bike and putting it into gear once or twice (Holding the clutch lever in, with the bike on the ground and otherwise ready to ride,)
I plan on trying this today

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dfinitelydisturbd has the best advice so far...if the bike had previously been running before storage without issue then it is most likely that the plates are stuck together...best of luck!
I got the back tire off, found out that the brake shoe was rusted in place, already ordered one. NOW I got a new battery and brake shoe otw, I tried to put the battery in and turned the key but it would not find neutral, I tried so many times and it wouldnt show the green light. Idk if it’s blown or not but I will find out after the brake shoe gets in, I also tried to start it but I pressed the button and it didn’t even try to drain the battery or anything, it did a couple of days ago when we picked it up and the day before..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts