Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I tried to start my 2003 Volusia I turned the key on, hit the starter button, heard a pop from up front under the gas tank and all indicator lights went off. Turned the key off and back on. Regained the indicator lights. Pressed the starter and the same thing happened. Same pop and same loss of electrical power. Since then can't even get the indicator lights on. Checked battery and all fuses, and all are ok. Since the pop seemed to come from the area where the ignition switch is located, is this most likely the culprit?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry, I was referring to fuses - not a relay. I know you said you checked the fuses but sometimes these are overlooked.
2 X 30 Amp fuses- I believe one is a spare if you have two of them in there so switching them around may be useful. Also check the positive / negative connections just to the right of the fuses.

20140416_191510.jpg

20140416_191624.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
I had a wire coming from from the ignition shorting out against the frame. Similar symptoms-intermittent problem, but one day nothing worked. I thought i had fallen victim to the overheated ignition switch gremlin. Luckily I was at the dealership getting a free oil change (they were trying to make good on a screwed up valve job). The tech isolated and repaired the short in about 5 minutes. Took him longer to remove the tank than to find the short. May not be your problem but might be worth looking at the bundle of wires coming from the back of the switch if nothing else turns up.

·
Super Moderator
20,498 Posts
the first time on my c90 I went to hook up the lead to the battery that i would plug into for using my heated gloves i experienced that problem...i never had any such issues when i attached the lead to my battery on my volusia... went to start it up and pop.... turn it off turn it back on hit the starter...pop again...turned out it I hadn't tightend the bolts tight enough...i thought I had...even redid everything...reattached everything and then put it back on again and it would continue to pop..went to service dept to ask guy what could be causing problem...took his lunch hour came over to my place...checked everything and even he was surprised to find that at first he too thought it was tight enough but upon redoing everything again and retightening real tight it started right up.
Good luck...try the simple things first.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
The first thing that ''popped'' into my mind was the ignition switch.

The popping certainly sounds like arcing electrical with a fairly high current draw...

-ignition switch.
-loose battery or starter connection.
-short to frame.
-loose connector/broken wire with intermittent contact.

in no particular order.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts