Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Volusia that's been rejetted (not by me). I've got a uni-filter and slightly drilled original pipes and no pair-valve. Everytime I ride on the expressway at over 75 mph I can only go about 15 miles before the bike starts to bog down and lose power. I'll pull it over to the shoulder and wait for a few minutes, then continue on at about 70 mph but usually look for an exit and take side roads the rest of my trip. This has been happening for about 2 years (and after the rejet). The bike can go all day at any speed under 75 mph.

I'm at a loss at what to look at first. Any ideas other than starting from scratch and re-doing the rejet?

Thanks for any assistance. Steve

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
you may need to increase the size of your main jet. the main jet handles the throttle when it is wide open. do you know the jet sizes you currently have? it may just be best to do the re-jet from scratch so you know it is right.

i would recommend rejetting to these specs
Aftermarket or stock pipes (baffles or debaffled) & Uni filter or K&N (airbox mounted):
150 or 155 main, 37.5 pilot jet, dyno spring, dyno needle on 3rd notch, mix screw at 2.5 - 3 turns. Adjust idle knob as needed to reach 1100 rpm.

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
v01rider said:
you may need to increase the size of your main jet. the main jet handles the throttle when it is wide open. do you know the jet sizes you currently have? it may just be best to do the re-jet from scratch so you know it is right.

Aftermarket or stock pipes (baffles or debaffled) & Uni filter or K&N (airbox mounted):
150 or 155 main, 37.5 pilot jet, dyno spring, dyno needle on 3rd notch, mix screw at 2.5 - 3 turns. Adjust idle knob as needed to reach 1100 rpm.
Damn Cory, I'm impressed. I don't understand a word of what you said, but I am impressed. Way to go!!!!

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
fletch24990 said:
v01rider said:

Damn Cory, I'm impressed. I don't understand a word of what you said, but I am impressed. Way to go!!!!
haha, thanks fletch!

Opazone, i just noticed you are EL. i will be in EL this coming weekend. where do you live? do you go to state? hey did you see we are having a rally in monroe in may?

have you taken it to a dealer and had them look at it? maybe full throttle.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
gkeefer said:
Put every thing back to stock. Problem solved!!!
Stock......yeah right....thats a good one...some one remind me what that is.... 8)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cory, I'm in Okemos now, just off the Okemos Road exit on 96. I didn't go to State, but my daughter does. I bought a rejet kit a few years ago that Carbon_One used, but I can't remember what the sizes were. It's plain annoying to not be able to ride confortably on the expressway, and I've just put off trying to fix the problem. My nest step is to take it to Groves (that's where I bought it) or Full Throttle. Maybe I'll even attempt to do it myself (plus it will help me convince my wife that I need that new set of wrenches from Sears!)

I'll have to check out the post about the Monroe rally to see if I can make it.

Steve

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Opazone said:
I have a 2001 Volusia that's been rejetted (not by me). I've got a uni-filter and slightly drilled original pipes and no pair-valve. Everytime I ride on the expressway at over 75 mph I can only go about 15 miles before the bike starts to bog down and lose power. I'll pull it over to the shoulder and wait for a few minutes, then continue on at about 70 mph but usually look for an exit and take side roads the rest of my trip. This has been happening for about 2 years (and after the rejet). The bike can go all day at any speed under 75 mph.

I'm at a loss at what to look at first. Any ideas other than starting from scratch and re-doing the rejet?

If you don't get it sorted out by the 16th bring it over to [email protected]'s and we will tear into it. I have most of a jet kit setting here I'll bring along.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
shooterrex said:
Opazone said:

If you don't get it sorted out by the 16th bring it over to [email protected]'s and we will tear into it. I have most of a jet kit setting here I'll bring along.

Ride Safe,
Rex
good idea rex!!

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
Opazone said:
Cory, I'm in Okemos now, just off the Okemos Road exit on 96. I didn't go to State, but my daughter does. I bought a rejet kit a few years ago that Carbon_One used, but I can't remember what the sizes were. It's plain annoying to not be able to ride confortably on the expressway, and I've just put off trying to fix the problem. My nest step is to take it to Groves (that's where I bought it) or Full Throttle. Maybe I'll even attempt to do it myself (plus it will help me convince my wife that I need that new set of wrenches from Sears!)

I'll have to check out the post about the Monroe rally to see if I can make it.

Steve
cool, i know where thats at. i used to live/work in lansing and my buddy is goin to state.

·
Registered
590 Posts
... it is possible they went to big on the jets when you had it done ... I noticed this (almost) same problem with my '02 when I rejetted to the Thunder kit and tried bigger jets than what they recomend ... sounds/reads like the other guys are onto the same issue ... though the good news is it sounds like you have the correct pilot jet installed ...

... what's your bike do when you jump on her hard from a stop?? ... and don't say bounce ... lol ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
When the power loss happens, reach down and open the choke up about 1/4 of the way. If you gain engine speed you will know that you are running to the lean side on your main jet. You can also move the e-clip to the 4th position this will give you more fuel also. Might want to check the fuel line leading to the carb, it may be kinked.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Danzig, I tried the choke the last time it was happening and it didn't affect the bike at all.

RevBill, there's never been a problem with acceleration or starting without leaving the choke out for extended periods of time, so I know that most of the rejet is working fine.

I've been so concerned about the problems in the highway that I've rarely gone on one for the past 3 years, so I'll go over the fuel lines and hoses again with the tank off and see if there's a kink or something's not quite right. I'm going to print out the pages from the Rusks website and take a look at the carb and see what's going on.

I appreciate all the ideas.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sounds like a vent problem, not enough air entering the fuel tank to compensate for gas leaving. Try the Freeway run with your Gas cap loose.
Oh, be sure the tank's not full.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts