Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I know carb questions are beaten to death in these forums. Just got myself a 2001 volusia 800 yesterday. Thought it was a great deal and actually bought to clean up and resell. Only has 5,800 miles and in very nice shape. Mostly stock but does have some cobra slack cut pipes. Dont believe the carbs were jetted according to previous owner. Starts right up no problem and idles on it's own pretty quick after shutting the choke down. I know these run lean stock so adding pipes just makes a little leaner. It doesnt have any backfiring or any popping really on decel which is surprising, but still feel some small indications it may be a little lean and want to try to adjust the pilot screw a hair and see it it smooths out any. No plans to pull the carb, if I was keeping the bike I'd do a jet kit and intake and whatnot. It's not a comfortable bike for me so will be up for sale shortly. Figured I'd make a small tweak if I can but it certainly doesnt need it. Rode it an hour home yesterday no problems aside from feeling like it needs a 6th gear lol. Sold an intruder 1500 this week and damn what a difference dropping to the 800. Fun bike though. Previous ownder forgot he had the stock pipes and stock seats so I'll be going back to pick those up as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
If I recall, the idle air mix screw is on the side of the carb, but it cannot be accessed without removing the fuel tank and PAIR valve. It is sandwiched between the jugs and difficult to access.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I recall, the idle air mix screw is on the side of the carb, but it cannot be accessed without removing the fuel tank and PAIR valve. It is sandwiched between the jugs and difficult to access.
Figures lol. Some bikes they are right on the side and easy to access with a long screw driver. I looked around and when I didnt immediatly see it I thought it must be in a spot that's out of the way. Wont bother me enough to pull any parts off the bike to access it. Runs fairly well, probably even better with the stock pipes on but that will be up to the new owner should they choose to throw those on and remove the cobra pipes.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
By the way you describe the bike, it sounds like it was already rejetted and tuned for the pipes. The older VL800s are known to be cold blooded and take a long time before they will idle without the choke. Also, the lack of popping on decel, suggests it as well. The issue you're going to run into is the bike being 19 years old, with 19 year old rubber components. Having just 5800 miles is a red flag to most buyers, as it spent a ton of time just sitting. The cost to do all the necessary maintenance, including replacing the old tires can often exceed the value of the bike. In addition to the rubber hoses, tires and fuel lines, the rubber brake line, brake fluid reservoir seals need to be replaced due to age and water contamination. It's probably never had the spark plugs changed, valve clearance checked or anything else done to it either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way you describe the bike, it sounds like it was already rejetted and tuned for the pipes. The older VL800s are known to be cold blooded and take a long time before they will idle without the choke. Also, the lack of popping on decel, suggests it as well. The issue you're going to run into is the bike being 19 years old, with 19 year old rubber components. Having just 5800 miles is a red flag to most buyers, as it spent a ton of time just sitting. The cost to do all the necessary maintenance, including replacing the old tires can often exceed the value of the bike. In addition to the rubber hoses, tires and fuel lines, the rubber brake line, brake fluid reservoir seals need to be replaced due to age and water contamination. It's probably never had the spark plugs changed, valve clearance checked or anything else done to it either.
Yeah I'm no stranger to working on bikes. Have owned probably 100 over the years buying, fixing and selling. Tires were done at somepoint in the last few years, already forgot the date code but they arent original from 2001. Valvet train makes no unnecessary noise otherwise I'd have checked them. Bike was run often despite the low miles. Previous owner just didnt go for long rides hence the low miles. It's possible it was jetted because as you mentioned generally there will be some popping on decel and it's quite smooth. Now that I think of the it the person who I just bought the bike from wasnt the original owner. I've sold 3 other bikes in the last week and sometimes I lose track of what's what. He said he picked it up recently from the original owner and decided he wasnt going to register and left the title blank and resold it. Which is fine with me since that's my plan as well. Oil is clean but I'll be replacing along with the driveshaft fluid since it's easy. Bike was taken care of, not stored away for 10 years and left to degrade which is nice. And in my experience most buyers I've had prefer the low miles because they assume high miles equals more wear. Of course that will vary bike to bike. I've had low and high mile bikes both maintained well and the total opposite left to sit with no maintanance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts