Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about the shock adjustments and tire pressure increase for 2 up riding...
Tire pressure is easy enough to do, shock adjustment not so much as I dont have a jack, no clue where it is, etc...
I do most solo riding, but once a week I might do a 50 mile 2-up.
Combined weight of me and the passenger is 360 pounds. 180 front, 180 back.

Question: Is it crucial that I set the rear shock above 4? Most posts I've read about this are dealing with a heavier combined weight.

While Im at it, can i visually check that its in fact at 4 without removing seats and fenders? Bike is an 2003, who knows how its set...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
We ride 2up quite often. I use only the factory setting. Our combined weight is very similar to yours. Never bottomed out. The shock is between the rear fender and the riders seat. You don't have to remove the seats or fender but you do have to remove the side covers. It requires lifting the rear tire off the ground to remove the weight of the rear suspension to adjust. There is a wrench in the left side tool kit. Large open end with a special flat flange opening. IMHO, I think your good to go. Watch the tire pressure, and ride...get comfortable with the 2up weight by riding the neighborhood and parking lots. Braking is much different, leave plenty of room to stop. Educate your passenger to move with you not against you. Practice her getting on and off while stopped to know what that feels like. Some riders have their passenger get on after the rider, I ask my wife to get on the bike first while on the kickstand. Just our style, does not work for everyone's situation. Enjoy. The experience of riding with a passenger changes from how I ride solo... Safety is always first and last. Take your time getting to the destination. I added the BT helmet to helmet communications and that alone has made the ride much better. She is not just sitting back there, she is involved in the ride pointing out interesting things, taking pictures, listening to music, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the tips. Maybe this will promote healthy eating and exercise.
I really wish the back seat wasn't so high up, what were they thinking...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the tips. Maybe this will promote healthy eating and exercise.
I agree with your comment for the rear seat. It sits on top of the fender as opposed to some bigger bikes that have the seat lower into the fender. My passenger sits well above the windshield and gets all the wind as it rises off me, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Many of my 2-ups like the higher seat. It allows them to see better.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It's called "Value engineering". My wife prefers not looking at the back of my helmet

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's called "Value engineering". My wife prefers not looking at the back of my helmet
When you put it that way, it does make sense...
Maybe it doesnt affect stability as much as it looks, i havent actually tried it yet.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
my wife loves the back seat for that very reason. She is like hey I can see over you now :)
I did not spend any time on the stocks but the mustang front and rear is pretty comfy.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ultimate seats

Ultimate makes a great rear passenger seat! My wife has never complained about buying it!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I went with one notch stronger than factory setting (middle notch) it works fine for two up or solo riding before I did the adjustment there was a noticeable change in geometry with the wife on the back not so much after the adjustment. Wife Lifted the rear end some to remove some of the force on the shock making the adjustment easier. She didn't actually lift the tire off the ground just took up some of the strain. I also have a Harley adjusting tool and a light pipe with the end fitting the tool squished in the extra leverage is a good thing. Pipe is cut to longest length that fits in saddle bag providing maximum leverage gain. :wayhappy:

Wife really enjoys are Mustang Seats longer rides no longer are a form of torture.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Take a look at the rear brake adjustment for 2 up riding. Run a search on the site, several good existing threads.

Good hunting

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Take a look at the rear brake adjustment for 2 up riding. Run a search on the site, several good existing threads.

Good hunting
Good call Blinky. Often overlooked adjustment that can cause irreparable harm to the brake drum.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
forums > owners manual.

So basically, once im 2-up i need to make sure i have a bit of travel on the rear brake pedal before it engages, similar feeling to riding solo. simple enough.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
forums > owners manual.

So basically, once im 2-up i need to make sure i have a bit of travel on the rear brake pedal before it engages, similar feeling to riding solo. simple enough.
You got it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts