Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
I thought I would give a brief review of my first season on my 2013 C50T White girl!

Having come off a Suzuki 650 GSXF this was a totally different ride. I was looking for something that was more comfortable on long rides. I am a 5 10 large boned woman and have my full motorcycle license. We looked at a lot of different bikes and many with more cc's (1300 class). I found myself really falling into the GOT TO HAVE A BIGGER CC bike group. My husband and a good friend I trust asked me why as they figured a 800 to 900ish cc bike would be a good choice for me and I won't be taking a passenger. SO I changed what I was looking for. My friend has the 950 vstar so I got to ride it. WOW to small for my long 33 inch inseam! I just did not like it. I was disappointed as it is such a pretty bike. I sat on a lot of bikes and then at the Toronto, January bike show I sat on the C50T in white. The bike just felt right. It was roomy and not too heavy she seemed perfect. We got a FANTASTIC trade in on my old bike and a great deal on this one so we bought it. I never imagined I would get a new bike!

When the bike was delivered the delivery guy who was retired and did this for fun (was an advid rider) told me I would LOVE my new bike and that the seat sucks and I should get a new one lol.

I have put just under 8000 k's on my bike. We added hiway pegs and crash bars and I have an adapter for my iPhone on it. I am saving as we speak for a new seat as OMG the stock is awful ( STILL unsure of which one LOL). I absolutely love my bike. I am so glad I listened to my hubby and friend. I ride with a lot of women with HUGE bikes, some don't like to do the twisty's others have a hard time moving the bikes in the parking lot. NOT me. We did a long ride to Vermont from just outside Toronto in July. My bike did everything I asked of her and she kept up with the bigger bikes I was riding with. We have a big ride planned for next year. All in all for the money we paid for her and how she rides. I could not be happier! What a great bike!!

Now I imagine in another 5 to 6 years I will get a new bike as I will be close to retirement but I see some really great years with my C50T! She was a great purchase

Katie
Ontario Canada

·
Super Moderator
33,550 Posts
Good to hear Katie. The C50 really is a great balance between larger size and maneuverability. Here's to many great miles on it!

Reactions: cathlaur

·
Registered
194 Posts
I feel the same about my C50, and the Vstar 950 that I owned for a few months - couldn't wait to get my C50 back. I too have considered bigger 1,300cc+ bikes, but the C50 still feels like the perfect bike for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blutobodine
Yup that is how I feel about my bike. I really enjoy myself everytime I am riding her.
When I retire I might get more CC's as we plan on lots of long distance riding but who knows. I am just going to enjoy the ride I have.
WOW that is funny on the V-Star it is such a nice looking bike especially the hard bags but I too could not wait to get back on my bike.
Tooooooooo each their own!

Katie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good for you Cathlaur. Did the right thing. Sat on a bunch of bikes last winter to see what felt best. I did the same. When I sat on the c50 it fit me like a good pair of jeans, and since I do not ride double also plenty big enough. Wish I could get my wife over her fear of bikes but I do not see it happening.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now a new seat OMG I can't decide. Ultimate or Mustang. Hubby says mustang it is waterproof and a bit cheaper LOL
mustang def good riding seat and good for longer hauls but if you get one spend the lil extra and get one with back rest =) glad you love your ride always nice to hear

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone
I do enjoy my bike. We are putting her and my husbands VTXR away today. SIGH.
Dark when we are home at night and we are getting snow flurries this week. SAD for sure!

Olfart (love the name LOL) I have been looking at the Mustang (with backrest) or the Ultimate. The Ultimate looks comfy but is not waterproof. I sat on a friends Mustang and I was surprised how hard it was. BUT I think if I get the old seat off and new one on I will get used to it. Just worried as I have heard the Mustang pushes you forward more. I will hopefully try both at the bike show this winter. Then I will order one for March. Anything will be better than the stock seat!

Katie

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hey Katie I am happy to hear you are enjoying the bike. Sans DJ mod and all. :wayhappy:

I recently put a Mustang 3 pc/backrest on my bike and couldn't be happier. I was pretty happy with the OEM Gel with Grasshopper backrest set up but found the Gel made me sit just a tad bit lower than I liked for stopping, meaning I had to bend my knees too much at stops to hold the bike up.
The actual riding position and comfort was way better than the stock seat.

I would let you try out my Gel but I don't think it will fit on 2009 and up bikes.

I will probably be posting the OEM Gel / pillion/ back rest as a package on the forum when I get back from Cuba. If anyone in the Greater Toronto Area is interested please feel free to PM me before I do so.

Katie, You are putting the bikes away pretty early :cry:.

I am planning to only go to the early January Motorcycle show this year if there is one. (usually at the Int'l Centre YYZ.) I haven't seen any dates posted yet. I have been pretty disappointed with the March show the last 2 times I went. I am sure someone will be posting the details if they materialize. Maybe Modzuki will post something .

Cheers, George

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
You are on a great bike. I have the Mustang seat on my C50 and it is pretty awesome compared to the stock seat. I don't have any experience with the Ultimate seat, but they do look comfy. Definately get the best seat you can afford, if you can figure out which one is more comfy, but I think you will like the Mustang. It is pretty firm, but it breaks in after a while.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Moto-Suzzi
Yup the bikes are away early but we live more North and with our schedules over the next few weeks there is almost no time to get out even if GORGEOUS!
So we will get it done! I had a good season but could have been better weather wise for sure. I barely rode to work this year! We are already planning our summer bike trip YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am pretty sure I will get the Mustang Vintage 3 piece set with backrest. I am sure it will be huge over the stock seat on my bike. A friend has 2005 C50T OMG her seat is awesome. I could not believe the difference.

We were in Cuba a few weeks back. Next is Mexico for the month of February. I cannot wait! Have a great trip

FYI The bike show is Jan 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I am hoping Mustang is there and I can order a seat then for the spring (with a bit of a deal)

Cheers
Katie

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Hi Great review! I am 6-5 and 215 and love the C50. Did some mods and she fits me great!

I bought the Mustang and after the first ride almost took it off and sold it, felt as hard as the stock seat. Rode it 3-4 times more and thought it was ok, maybe a little better than stock. After that I quickly decided it was one of the best mods ever and have rode up to 1100 miles in a day without a sore butt! Dunno about the ultimate someone else will have to chime in.
Ohh and just went to the Boss Hoss rally and was surprised how many of their seats were Mustangs, if it is good enough for a 70k bike it is good enough for my Belinda..Lol.

Reactions: cathlaur

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Desim
Hey thanks for your thoughts on the Mustang and good points!
Yup that is what I have heard, give it time and there will no regrets. I do plan on putting it on before I head out in the spring so I don't compare it to the stock seat.
And you are right you see a lot of Mustangs around. My friend has the Ultimate which she loves. But on a very long ride we were on (overnight) we got caught in rain and it was still wet the next day. THAT is the downfallI don't like.

I think I should shut up and just know that is what I am going to get. LOL
But being female...................................... LOL

Katie

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
My friend has the Ultimate which she loves. But on a very long ride we were on (overnight) we got caught in rain and it was still wet the next day. THAT is the downfallI don't like.
Ultimate sells a waterproof cover for the seat, that you can put on and take off like a shower cap. Just FYI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey!

Happy to hear you're enjoying your new C50. I got the brand new C50 (non touring) 2012 edition last year and so far I am super happy also.

I'm surprised you found the stock seat uncomfortable. It is super comfortable I find. As for the twisties well I found the C50 to have not that much of a lean but still somewat doable.

Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey!

Happy to hear you're enjoying your new C50. I got the brand new C50 (non touring) 2012 edition last year and so far I am super happy also.

I'm surprised you found the stock seat uncomfortable. It is super comfortable I find. As for the twisties well I found the C50 to have not that much of a lean but still somewat doable.

Enjoy your new bike!
The C50 has great leaning capacity compared to most cruisers. The stock seat, to me, feels like a beach towel draped across the frame. Too soft and over a short time I sink into it and basically am sitting on the battery.
Mustang is fantastic.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Moto-Suzzi
Yup the bikes are away early but we live more North and with our schedules over the next few weeks there is almost no time to get out even if GORGEOUS!
So we will get it done! I had a good season but could have been better weather wise for sure. I barely rode to work this year! We are already planning our summer bike trip YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am pretty sure I will get the Mustang Vintage 3 piece set with backrest. I am sure it will be huge over the stock seat on my bike. A friend has 2005 C50T OMG her seat is awesome. I could not believe the difference.

We were in Cuba a few weeks back. Next is Mexico for the month of February. I cannot wait! Have a great trip

FYI The bike show is Jan 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I am hoping Mustang is there and I can order a seat then for the spring (with a bit of a deal)

Cheers
Katie
What area of Mexico for February? I've ridden in and around Guanajuato for days and days.

RV

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.