Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 1500 drive for a member here, she will be riding out and getting it installed the same day so I have to have everything ready.

I pulled the shafts out of the 1500 drive, and the C50 drive I had here. Going to machine the C50 shaft this week, and order a new seal and clip.

My concern is the axle bushing. Do I need a new one or can I use the one coming out of the C50 as long as I alter the length.

·
Registered
795 Posts
There is no bushing in the C-50, I think you're confusing the spacer for the bushing. You will need to have a machinist make a bushing to reduce the axle hole size of the 1500 drive.

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok....to clarify the question.

What exactly do I need for the axle part of the conversion.

The only parts I'll have is what I take off her bike.

Does anyone have the parts I'll need???

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Capt, the axle that was used on the C90/VL1500 is larger diameter than axle on C50, so the axle hole in the drive case is larger than the C50 axle that you'll be using.

The guys that do the machining for you make a bushing that goes in the 1500 axle hole and it accepts the C50 axle......that's the BUSHING.

There is a spacer that slides over the axle on installation. It sets the distance between final drive case and wheel hub. Can't use a C90 spacer, inside diameter is too large for C50 axle. Can use a C50 spacer. In stock length you get an unsightly gap between drive case and wheel which will allow road grime infiltration. That can be mitigated by shortening C50 axle spacer by 2mm.

One option is Aric Balster can provide both BUSHING and SPACER.

[email protected]

C50 Axle diameter is .664 inch. (bushing).

Axle SPACER is 2.85 inch long.

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aric hasn't answered the e-mails she sent.

Anyone else have the bushing and spacer available???

Also - after we're done there will be a 1500 shaft available if someone needs it.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Address in my e-mail says [email protected]

Looks like I dropped the h off his addy posted above (and have edited it), I've done that before.

I shot him an e-mail, will see if he responds.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Address in my e-mail says [email protected]

Looks like I dropped the h off his addy posted above (and have edited it), I've done that before.

I shot him an e-mail, will see if he responds.

He did respond today- doesn't do that anymore. Am talking to a local chopper guy who thinks he can help me out.

Is this the only info he will need to make the needed parts?

* C50 Axle diameter is .664 inch. (bushing).

*Axle SPACER is 2.85 inch long.

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
if you need the number of a machine shop that can help you out send me a PM and I can give it to you as long as you agree to not share the contact info publicly, is it possible that Aric could share the exact measurements with you since it appears he is not actually doing the work anymore

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The bushing needs an inside diameter, outside diameter, and length. In this post, http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/195076-c90-shaft-length-after-mod.html Viper posted the following:

The outside diameter of a C50 axle is 16.90mm (this would be the I.D of the bushing)

The inside diameter of a C90 axle hole drive is 19.90mm (this would be the O.D. of the bushing). Lenth is about 3/4 inch long if I remember correctly.
Bring him the vl1500 drive and your rear axle, he'll know what to do.
That should take the guesswork out of it.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Bring him the vl1500 drive and your rear axle, he'll know what to do.
That should take the guesswork out of it.
That is exactly correct.

I have a C90 final drive setting on my bench and I can give you a measurement of the O.D. of the axle hole.

I also have a spare C50 axle and can give you the O.D measurement of it.

But can I promise that if your machinest makes a bushing to those dimensions it will fit ? No I can't.

In any machine process there is tolerance.

I checked the I.D. of my drive case and the O.D. of my axle and found a difference of .003.

So if some one takes my measurement to their machinest and after machining things don't match up, it can very well be because of tolerance.

As much as we all wish we could tell a machinest I need X dimension O.D. and X dimension I.D., there comes a point when you got to let the machinest take his own measurements and pay him for what he's able to do.

I've done this work on a lathe myself. Until you've had to hand lap a bushing accomplish a precision fit, you can't appreaciate what's all involved.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just found some drawings - can we confirm this is what I'll need:

·
Administrator
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have a C50 spacer in my hands, and wont until wrench day. I thought I read somewhere that the C50 spacer can be altered by trimming the length - is this true?? Or do I need to make a new spacer???

Then I would only need the bushing, which I would make out of a drill bushing at work.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the C50 spacer can be altered by trimming the length
That is correct Capt, the C50 spacer will work just fine. You will want to trim it to the 2.815 length in that drawing and you should be good.

The one measurement missing for that bushing is length, it should be .75 inch.

Use the 1500 spring behind the driveshaft and don't forget to order a grease seal and pick up some moly grease.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Motive could you please be a little more specific, which did you make to those measurements that needed a little altering the Bushing or the Spacer and was it the inside or outside dimension that was incorrect?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Motive could you please be a little more specific, which did you make to those measurements that needed a little altering the Bushing or the Spacer and was it the inside or outside dimension that was incorrect?
I don't recall, I have an axle I fit them to for the ID then measure the drive for the OD then I fit a U-joint to fit the splined end so I know it all goes together correctly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts