Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Um, with 96k on the clock, you're either going to have to give it away or find someone who doesn't know any better. That bike is used up.
Like I said ….find him a good home. I don't expect to get much and would give it away to the right person. I absolutely don't think it used up.... but didn't want to take it cross country which was the planned trip. Well taken care of so I would not hesitate to ride it locally (which is all that a TON of riders do.... especially new riders).

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Um, with 96k on the clock, you're either going to have to give it away or find someone who doesn't know any better. That bike is used up.
I agree the bike is shot. At 96k miles it will cost more than its' worth to get the bike up to snuff. It's had a good long life. Time to send it to the scrap yard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Like I said ….find him a good home. I don't expect to get much and would give it away to the right person. I absolutely don't think it used up.... but didn't want to take it cross country which was the planned trip. Well taken care of so I would not hesitate to ride it locally (which is all that a TON of riders do.... especially new riders).
I have two already. Its not a cost thing. Its a i like working on my own bike thing. Then knowing what i can expect of my workmanship. If someone else does it, i would never have quite as much confidence as if i turned the torque ratchet myself. If something goes wrong then. Well no one else to blame.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How often did you adjust the valves?
Adjusted the valves last around 38000. After initial purchase adjustment at 27435. No noise since then and same feeler gauge clearance last time i replaced the valve cover gaskets at 62000, so i didnt fool with them. Havent checked in a while. Might do that today too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New rear tire. Think im at 84500 or so. Possibly new rear bearing install. Not necessary just ordered new fr and r last time i ordered to get free shipping. Remount air horn and 12v socket. Couple small 12v lights for rear. One is a red line and other is a skull projected on the road. Thinking of attaching to running lamp crkt . Anyone have any suggestions about rear bearing replacement?

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Adjusted the valves last around 38000. After initial purchase adjustment at 27435. No noise since then and same feeler gauge clearance last time i replaced the valve cover gaskets at 62000, so i didnt fool with them. Havent checked in a while. Might do that today too.
Wow that is quite the gap between checking. Ive always thought valve clearance inspections are too regular for most bikes anyway

·
Registered
97 Posts
New rear tire. Think im at 84500 or so. Possibly new rear bearing install. Not necessary just ordered new fr and r last time i ordered to get free shipping. Remount air horn and 12v socket. Couple small 12v lights for rear. One is a red line and other is a skull projected on the road. Thinking of attaching to running lamp crkt . Anyone have any suggestions about rear bearing replacement?
A concrete wedge anchor makes a great tool for removing stubborn wheel bearings if the spacer won't slide over enough to allow for a solid hit with a drift. A 3/4" anchor works well for the common 6203 wheel bearing. Tap the anchor into the I.D, flip the wheel around, use a long punch/crappy long socket extension to give the wedge a few taps to "set" the clip and bit into the I.D. Then a few solid hits should shoot the bearing out with the anchor. Tap the anchor out backwards, squash the clip back down with pliers, and re-use.

Get bearings off ebay or online. Avoid the cheap no-name ones. SKF or Nachi bearings can be had for $6-7 online. Parts stores tend to charge huge markups. Napa wanted like $30 for the same bearing.

Pop the bearings in the freezer, then torch the hub, get it nice and warm. The bearing will practically fall into place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm actually relatively surprised there's a few of these that are closing in on 100k. I thought the tensioner failure/cam chain death rattle sent most of these to the scrap heap by 40-50k or so. I worked at a Suzuki dealer in the "back of house" i.e the shop for a couple years and most had the signature rattle of tensioner failure by about 40k miles. I thought it was virtually a universal problem and generally recommended customers that had these getting into the 30k+ range to think about getting out of the bike soon- and buying a Vulcan, Shadow, Vstar, ect. Very few seemed to buy another Suzuki, understandably disappointed that their bike was worn out to the point it wasn't worth fixing by 40k miles.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Riding style, riding habits, climate bike is used in, how regular servicing is, type of oil and filter used, if engine is stock or tuned, duration of rides etc all contribute to the longevity (or lack of) of an engine on any motorbike. Ive read a couple of peoples bikes developed this rattle at 30-35k, but continued running the bike regardless until selling on (or crashing) at 70-80k. A slightly loose chain is an annoying sound, but unless its really stretched its not going to harm anything. Put it next to a TC Harley and it will still sound considerably quieter by comparison.

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
Most people would rebuild them if Skrap wouldn't talk them out of it
Just doin' my part for the community... :wink2:

·
Registered
19,613 Posts
So, I was in the dealership the other day checking up on my bike. Parked next to the lift was a 2008 ST. While I was talking to the tech about my bike and the 20k service, I glanced at the odometer on the ST - 245,870 miles. The guy who owns it bought it new and brings it in every 5000 miles for oil changes. My CTX has the same engine and transmission. Woo Hoo. 100k is barely broken in for a Honda.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 2007 C50 (EFI) has 96,000+ miles on it...should hit 97,000 sometime in the next few days...It is my daily commute bike (76 miles round trip with 60 on the superslab)...love the ole girl...bought new in Oct 07 with 1 mile on the odo: I ride alot...same time period I had a 09BMWg650gs which I put 33,000 miles on in 3.5 years and traded it in on a Honda new 2013 NC700X in July 2013 which now has 53,000+ miles; I also have a 2009 KLX250sf I purchased in 2011 and keep in storage in Florida (I live in Indiana) and I now have close to 5000 miles on it (not bad for only going to florida 2 times a year for 5 days at a time).

Back to the C50, I change the oil every 2500-3000 miles, change the rear hub oil once a year...only have done 1 valve check since the 28,000 mile mark (checked it at the 93,000 mile mark-still within specs...I know I know, no flaming); rode her to work this morning-still purring. Currently have a Kenda tire on the front and a Shinko Sr777 on the rear (hate Kendas-hope that thing wears out this summer so I can put a sr777 on the front). Like a old timex watch,,,takes a licking and keeps on ticking...Got t-boned by a deer 3 years ago (never saw it until I got up), went down at 35mph...I had more road rash than the bike did (I wear atgatt now).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts