Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I hope I'm not sorry I bought these pipes. Got them on tonight. They were perfect out of the box. After running about 4-5 minutes, the chrome on the front pipe started bubbling, like there was some contamination between the chrome and the pipe. It now looks like crap. The heat shield would cover it, but it shouldn't be bubbling up. Dennis Kirk doesn't have any more of these pipes. Jardine has 21 sets, but won't warranty this set. It has to go through Dennis Kirk. And Dennis Kirk says they're not carrying the pipes any more.

·
Administrator
51,645 Posts
It is the chrome and not some plastic coating Ron?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
The chrome. I took great care to get all packing materials off the pipe, and cleaned off all oil and grease from my hands before starting the bike! :(

psycomind said:
It is the chrome and not some plastic coating Ron?

·
Administrator
51,645 Posts
Well, I guess I better not get the Jardines! Sorry to hear that You had trouble! That stinks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Spraying hi-temp engine paint inside the pipes will help keep the temperature down a lot and may help with your bubbling issue.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Proper chroming by Jardine would be a better fix.

Lucky said:
Spraying hi-temp engine paint inside the pipes will help keep the temperature down a lot and may help with your bubbling issue.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yeah, but by the sounds of it, warranty wasn't an option. I was just suggesting what you could do to help correct the problem.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It's brand new, so it's going back to Dennis Kirk. I just wanted to get another from DK to save the hassle of getting a refund, and then going to another vendor to purchase the pipes.

Lucky said:
Yeah, but by the sounds of it, warranty wasn't an option. I was just suggesting what you could do to help correct the problem.

·
Administrator
51,645 Posts
Someone didn't bathe the pipe before they started plating it. I used to have all my expansion chambers nickel plated, and the plating people used to give the metal some kind of acidic bath prior to the plating.

Never had any peeling or bubbling on racing bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts