Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I bought my 07 C90T about a month ago with 12,780 miles. I have put about 3,000 miles on since. I changed the oil to 10-40 royal purple and changed the plugs to the hotter option as per the manuals suggestion because the plugs in there had white insulators. I don’t know if I’m just notcikg the noise now that I’ve had the bike, but my engine seems to be way too noisy. It has what I would describe as a distinct knock or clatter. Here is a link to a quick video I took tonight. It sounds like a clatter, and then theres a kind of ringing, like someone tapping a glass with a fork. PLEASE someone tell me this is normal, or if they have a similar sound.

·
Registered
19,691 Posts
That sounds like rod knock. If the engine was ever run low on oil, it would cause the journal bearing to overheat and break loose from the crankshaft. If that's the case, you're looking at a new crankshaft assembly, plus bearings and new connecting rods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really didnt notice it when I bought it, but it wasnt ever run low on oil. I’ve kept an eye on it since changing the oil myself a few weeks ago. I don’t have any money for that kind of work. I bought this bike cause I thought they were supposed to be bulletproof and last forever. What else could have caused it to fail if not low oil?

·
Registered
19,691 Posts
You have no idea what the previous owner did to the bike, or if they ever bothered to change the oil. Regardless, it is in the lower half of the engine, so there are no shortcuts. You bought somebody else's problem I'm afraid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts