Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the risers from a fellow member here (Thanks!). Have searched and read various threads about installing them. My question regards the cables. It seems that on the 07 C50s, Suzuki changed the length of the cables. Has anyone installed the PhatRiser II risers on an 07 C50? Did you have a problem with having enough length in the cables? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I have Aeromach's on mine and they are indeed tight. I don't know how they compare to the Phatts, but I just thought I'd mention it. Personally, they're a bit too snug for my liking, but so far I haven't had any problems. Wish I could slap a Suzuki person around for changing whatever they did. :lol:

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
It's been done by other members and they all said the same thing...cables are too tight. That being said, I believe the fix is to disconnect the cables and route them BEHIND the triple tree and that should fix the problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
I installed a set on my 07 C50 last week and the throttle cables were stretched tight with the bars turned full right. The solution was to disconnect the cables and re-route behind the triple tree. Hope this helps.

Bill

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Guys I also have a 07 with two inch riser extensions and the throttle cables are tight. Just exactly where do you and how do you disconect them to reroute?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
johbren said:
Guys I also have a 07 with two inch riser extensions and the throttle cables are tight. Just exactly where do you and how do you disconect them to reroute?
Ditto.

·
Registered
639 Posts
How?

paddyo said:
johbren said:
Ditto.
Some pics would be nice....

+2

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone help with how to disconnect & reroute the cables?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I also have an 07 C50. I have the Elite pullback risers and the throttle cable is very tight when the handlebars are turned to the right. I just bought the Phats 2 risers (after buying a Mustang seat and feeling the arms stretched out further). I'm afraid (ok petrified) to open up the switch assemblies to reroute the cables. If I screw it up the stealership is 6 miles away. Thats a long way to push the bike.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had Aerosmith on a while ago. sorry wrong thread...

oh, cables, reroute them completely till they work. I don't even remember how they're supposed to go. But now they look good and work with 12" bars.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You don't need to disconnect the cables.

Photo stolen from CUL8ter:

Get a helper to hold the handle bars.
Cover the gas tank with a thick towel or padding.
Remove the triple tree by loosening the clamp bolts #11 and removing the steering stem nut # 9 below.
You don't have to remove the risers if the new ones are already installed.

The triple tree will slide up and off by wiggleing the handle bars and applying upward pressure.
Once the triple tree is off, have your helper turn the handle bars so you can remove the 2 cable guide bolts from the bottom of the triple tree.
You will have to cut the cable guide to get it off of the cables.
I left mine off of the bike.

Shift the RH cables to behind the triple tree.
Reinstall the triple tree on the bike.
Tighten the steering stem nut and the 2 clamp bolts.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Over on the Yamaha Forum they do the same thing by taking the top off the triple tree. They say its easy to do

·
Registered
639 Posts
Found Bolt

I found bolt on my '03, bottom of fork tube cover.

Problem now is I was able to break left side loose, now the right started to strip.

No hope there now. I will have to wait until I can take to shop and have them remove bolt the is starting to strip.

I did remove the wire harness, that help just a bit.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Re: Found Bolt

TDragon said:
I found bolt on my '03, bottom of fork tube cover.

Problem now is I was able to break left side loose, now the right started to strip.

No hope there now. I will have to wait until I can take to shop and have them remove bolt the is starting to strip.

I did remove the wire harness, that help just a bit.
I looked at the '03 on the Ron Ayers site.
It does not look like you have the # 11 clamp bolt on your top triple tree.
Maybe other '03 owners can jump in?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Snorky said:
You don't need to disconnect the cables.

The triple tree will slide up and off by wiggling the handle bars and applying upward pressure.
Snorky, rather than wiggling the triple tree off using the handle bars, would it be possible to use a 2x4 and hammer and raise them up by placing the 2x4 below the triple tree and hitting the 2x4 with the hammer from below? My concern is damaging the risers, bolts or handle bars by pulling on them this way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used Snorky's method of removing the triple tree and now have my Phats 2 installed and cables rerouted behind the tree. Thanks for the great tip.

I did find out though that if you have the OEM windshield, the 2 upper bolts of the windshield bracket are attached to the bottom of the triple tree. You need to remove those 2 upper bolts before you can lift off the triple tree. I couldn't figure out why the triple tree wasn't moving as I was pulling on it.

Paddyo. When I was putting the triple tree back on I had a little trouble at first. I guess I wasn't putting it on evenly and the steering stem dug into the side of the hole in the triple tree. I couldn't pull the triple tree back off. I didn't have a 2x4 available, so I used the wood handle of my hammer (as the 2x4) and a rubber mallet to do just as you asked. It worked. I then put the bike on my lift and the tree went back on without a problem.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Snorky said:
Okay, I have to go and ask the stupid question. Once the cables are routed behind the triple tree, do they affect or come into contact with anything if the bars are turned all the way(to lock)?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts