Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
I checked this out on my 06, it was not like pictured, i had to remove the 2 screws holding the black cover on, remove it, out came a spacer and the entire lock assembly, the I easily unscrewed the tiny screw holding the key cover, it was already half out, loctited it and reassembled it, it was a bit tricky, had to use the key to realign the dogs into the locking mechanism, but all in all it took 5 minutes at the most.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks all,
just did this for my 03 intruder Volusia. Remove the two inside brass colored screws, lift straight up on the plastic cover. Lift straight up on metal plate...and then lift straight up on the internals.

Tiny, tiny screw and spring are then visible. Loctited the screw and the threaded cap interior.
Put er back together and tested with the key a couple of times....worked like a charm.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Am I missing something? Or is this just humor? The 5 mile increase in gas mileage? Sorry but I just got a 2004 a complete newbie and the first post was just about lock tighting a screw that comes loose???

·
Registered
13,216 Posts
Am I missing something? Or is this just humor? The 5 mile increase in gas mileage? Sorry but I just got a 2004 a complete newbie and the first post was just about lock tighting a screw that comes loose???

The mod is to prevent you from losing the chrome cover over the keyhole. They have a tendency to work themselves loose while riding & blowing away in the wind. Loc-Tite (thread locker) keeps the screw from backing out.

As far as gains in MPG ~ there are a lot of other factors including your riding style , type of oil used, blinker fluid freshness level, rejetted or not rejetted, ... etc. ~ there are no guarantees that you will see an increase so as with most other posts here ~ YMMV.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So a repair is a mod?

Great job of illustrating this!! Now I don't mind admitting......................
when it came to "gas cap mod", I never knew WTF they were talking about :oops: Now I do. :lol:
Viper
Should it not be gas cap loose screw re-locktight repair?

·
Registered
13,216 Posts
Should it not be gas cap loose screw re-locktight repair?

WE like the K.I.S.S. theory 'round these parts... "Keep It Simple, Stupid"

"gas cap mod" much easier to say.

We aren't 're' repairing, we are adding loc-tite where the factory either forgot to , or didn't deem necessary to. We wouldn't want to confuse all the noobs with all them extra words & all. :grin2:

Reactions: sssportsmfg

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just call me eggo....

WE like the K.I.S.S. theory 'round these parts... "Keep It Simple, Stupid"

"gas cap mod" much easier to say.

We aren't 're' repairing, we are adding loc-tite where the factory either forgot to , or didn't deem necessary to. We wouldn't want to confuse all the noobs with all them extra words & all. :grin2:
Duh lol......egg on face...for us newbees...it was a riddle. I see now why you call it a mod....they didn't put locktight on it to begin with, guess I will do that this winter too as I still have the swinging key flap, would hate to see it take wing !

Great pictures and illustration !

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just finished the gas cap mod. Very easy! See below.
Below is the gas cap from the '07 C50.

Below is the gas cap taken apart.
You can see how I like to lay things out as I disassemble them.

The 2 long screws at the top left are the first things removed. They are placed in the order and position I removed them ( right one on the right).

This assures they go back in the same hole they came out of, in case one is longer than the other.
I then place the next peice (blue plastic cover) below that and work laying pieces out in columns.

Everything to the left of the yellow divider line did NOT have to be taken apart to access the screw that holds the key cover on. I was following the directions for the Volusia's.

Below shows the screw with locktite replaced, and how the gasket goes back on. I have no idea what purpose the tiny metal clip in the lower left does, just be careful not to loose it. I'm sure it voids your warranty if lost!

Below is the reassembly of the gasket.

This was very easy and quick to do. I should point out that I only have just over 1,000 miles on my bike and my key cover screw was loose already.
Thanks to this forum, I did the mod and now should never have to worry about losing my gas cap key cover.
You guys & gals are the GREATEST! :wayhappy:
Gonna give is a go this week. The key cover came off today on my 03. Lasted a good long time, I must admit.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Gonna give is a go this week. The key cover came off today on my 03. Lasted a good long time, I must admit.
Actually i need instructions for the older volusia, mine is an 03.

Can anyone help me?

Figured it out.

Removed two brass screws holding black plastic cover, removed small metal cover plate, removed internals.

Small screw with spring is the part.
Added loctite to it and on threads of key cover.

Inserted key cover, tightened screw with spring, inserted internals, inserted metal cover plate, inserted black plastic cap, tightened brass screws.

Done.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts