Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the gas cap mod. Very easy! See below.
Below is the gas cap from the '07 C50.

Below is the gas cap taken apart.
You can see how I like to lay things out as I disassemble them.

The 2 long screws at the top left are the first things removed. They are placed in the order and position I removed them ( right one on the right).

This assures they go back in the same hole they came out of, in case one is longer than the other.
I then place the next peice (blue plastic cover) below that and work laying pieces out in columns.

Everything to the left of the yellow divider line did NOT have to be taken apart to access the screw that holds the key cover on. I was following the directions for the Volusia's.

Below shows the screw with locktite replaced, and how the gasket goes back on. I have no idea what purpose the tiny metal clip in the lower left does, just be careful not to loose it. I'm sure it voids your warranty if lost!

Below is the reassembly of the gasket.

This was very easy and quick to do. I should point out that I only have just over 1,000 miles on my bike and my key cover screw was loose already.
Thanks to this forum, I did the mod and now should never have to worry about losing my gas cap key cover.
You guys & gals are the GREATEST! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice Pics, and Explanation.
Now you will get 5 Mpg more with this mod. :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Great job of illustrating this!! Now I don't mind admitting......................
when it came to "gas cap mod", I never knew WTF they were talking about :oops: Now I do. :lol:
Viper

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just did mine! Mine is an 07 limited edition and it had the loctite, so I put more on and slapped her back together. I still recomend doing it, at least you will know for sure, and man was that easy. 8)

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
VERY GOOD illustration. should be stuck somewhere for reference.

cap was more complicated than my '06 when I did mine.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Umple Z said:
Benjie_eb said:
Only after the rejet.

Nice work.
Since he has an '07, no rejet necessary... I hope I am not too late to have saved snorky the trouble of attempting this... :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
funbikerchick said:
Umple Z said:
Benjie_eb said:
Only after the rejet.

Nice work.
Since he has an '07, no rejet necessary... I hope I am not too late to have saved snorky the trouble of attempting this... :lol:
no worries there. I figger it would take at least a year to locate the carb on his FI bike! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
Thanks! Being that I got about 700 miles on my 07, methinks it might be a simple winter mod to undertake. Especially since we can't do the REAL gas cap mod by turning the flap the correct way! :curse:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Snorky, Thanks for the excellent pictures.
I just did the mod on my C50T, and yes my cover screw was a little loose.
Now my question is: How much increased gas mileage will I get? :lol:

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Is there a way to put the black piece with the tangs that match the gas filler flange upsidedown so that after doing this tightening mod, your bike will look like the REAL and ORIGINAL gas cap mod? :lol:

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
^^^ We could only hope. I swear I'm only getting 12 MPG with that flap increasing drag. Simply mind-boggling, I tell ya.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I finished the gas cap mod the other day!
Now, Do I need to rejet my FI to increase my fuel mileage? :roll: :lol: :shock:

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
stickied - nice job with the instructions snorky! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Did the gas cap mod a few years ago, but you made it look so easy I just might do it again! Thanks for the crystal clear photos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Guys,
I really hate to sound ignorant but im trying to figure this out. What exactally does the Gas Cap mod do?

Nate

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Natrillius said:
Hey Guys,
I really hate to sound ignorant but im trying to figure this out. What exactally does the Gas Cap mod do?

Nate
The gas cap mod adds a bit of Loctite to the screw that holds on your key flap on the gas cap. This keeps it from coming loose and flyin' off at 65 MPH.

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Natrillius said:
Hey Guys,

Nate
WELCOME to the VR site, new member.

Pete

1 - 20 of 71 Posts