Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright yall excuse my wording and questions. Im new to the forum and still trying to learn my bike im 23 so I'm still young but I was born in the wrong time era .. So anyways she is a beautiful bike ran good when I got her. she has 16000 original I just rolled to 16 with a shitty half power bike I've tried everything and it gets worse my mechanic told me that it was possibly my coils $320 and if that didnt fix it we start at injectors he just wanted to throw a parts cannon so at this point. I have the following replace.
Coils new.
Plugs are new and not cheapos.
I just re ran all new vacuum lines and my bike is still running shitty it shuts off under its own weight

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
Your bike needs 4 things to make the engine spin:

Air
Fuel
Spark
Compression.

Rather than throwing a "parts cannon" at it, break it down into each of the simpler groups. Air - check the air box for obstructions (mice love to build nests in there during the off season). Is the filter dirty? Is the filter even there?
Fuel - check to see if there is any sediment at the bottom of your fuel tank. Open the filler neck and shine a flashlight down in the tank. Is it sparkling clean, or is there rust and other contamination? What condition is the fuel pump in? If the fuel pump is all right, then pull the tank and check the fuel line. The bike is 13 years old, meaning all of its components are 13 years old. Rubber gets brittle as it ages. fuel line ok? Next test for spark and compression. What plugs did you use, specifically? The manual calls for a specific type and specific heat range. Putting in an exotic metal, or a plug with 10000 grounds won't make it run better. You can check the resistance of your plug using a multimeter by setting it to measure Ohms, set to 20k. Anything between 5.00 and 15.0 is showing good resistance. Last, you need to check the compression of the cylinders. Yes, it is important. A compression gauge can be gotten from the auto parts store for about $30. Screw it into the spark plug hole in each of the cylinder heads and thumb the throttle. It should be done on a warm engine if possible, but anything 180 psi or higher is considered "good". Anything between 180 psi and 152 psi is considered "marginal" and anything below 152 psi is considered "worn out". Also, if there is more than 25 psi difference between the two, then the engine is in need of a rebuild or replacement.

After you've gone through the basics listed above, NOW you start looking at other culprits. Air is pretty easy to rule out, as is compression. That leaves spark and fuel. If the tank is clean and the line is new, then the injectors could be the culprit. Throwing a bottle of miracle cure in the tank won't clean them, either. They would need to be pulled off of the intake, pressure cleaned and flow tested. Spark is also an option, but since you have replaced the coils and plugs, there are other culprits. The spark plug wires can and do break down over time.

Take it a step at a time and be patient.

·
Registered
241 Posts
07 is EFI...sounds like clogged fuel injectors or bad injectors. Try rebooting the EFI (raise the back of the tank, look at the electrical connectors...disconnect the connectors (make sure you have disconnected the battery)..wait a couple of minutes and reconnect the connectors..reconnect the battery and see what happens...when it runs, does the red FI light come on (it is on the tank, part of the speedometer assembly, below the speed indicator).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts