Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 from a guy off of Facebook. I went to his house to pick it up and the bike starts fine and starts to rev as you twist the throttle until about 1/8 of the throttle twist then it just bogs out and dies. It will start right back up but does the same thing. The only way to keep it running is by continuously barely twisting the throttle. I have pulled the fuel pump out of the tank and cleaned it. Also, attached to the fuel pump is a black rubber hose that goes to what I assume is the pressure regulator?? The rubber hose had a crack in it and was real squishy to the touch. Any help would be greatly appreciated I would love to ride this beautiful bike.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I recently bought a 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 from a guy off of Facebook. I went to his house to pick it up and the bike starts fine and starts to rev as you twist the throttle until about 1/8 of the throttle twist then it just bogs out and dies. It will start right back up but does the same thing. The only way to keep it running is by continuously barely twisting the throttle. I have pulled the fuel pump out of the tank and cleaned it. Also, attached to the fuel pump is a black rubber hose that goes to what I assume is the pressure regulator?? The rubber hose had a crack in it and was real squishy to the touch. Any help would be greatly appreciated I would love to ride this beautiful bike.
One possibility is gummed up injectors. Try pulling them and taking them to a shop with an ultrasonic cleaner. Or Google cleaning them yourself just to rule that out. Not very common but possible. Another thing is to check all your grounds and make sure they are properly connected. I missed my ground connected to my fuel commander one spring and had a similar issue.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One possibility is gummed up injectors. Try pulling them and taking them to a shop with an ultrasonic cleaner. Or Google cleaning them yourself just to rule that out. Not very common but possible. Another thing is to check all your grounds and make sure they are properly connected. I missed my ground connected to my fuel commander one spring and had a similar issue.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I'm pulling it apart now. I've been at it since 6am. I pulled the tank off clean the tank went to the gas station and got some premium gas filled it up. It runs a little bit better but it's still wouldn't pull its ass out of a wet paper sack.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
If it's starting to run better with fresh gas throw some injector cleaner into the tank and run it through. Should clear right up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Failed pressure regulators are not unheard of, particularly on older C50's. The black hose diverts the excess fuel back into the pump's little baffle cup (so when fuel is very low, it doesn't cut out when making right turns or braking, ect), but that wouldn't cause the problem.

You can test the regulator easy enough, pull it out of the assembly, get a blow-gun and set your compressor's regulator to ~40psi and blow into the regulator. Nothing should come through. Slowly turn up the regulator, by 45psi a small amount of air should be coming through, and with more pressure, should be more air being released (it's set to maintain ~43psi or so).

You can DIY clean the injectors with a cheap $10 kit from ebay, it's an adapter to put the injector on a can of carb cleaner, and a little harness connector so you can cycle the injectors open with a 12v source (a 9v battery works fine too) and blast cleaner through them. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner doesn't hurt to toss them in there for a bath either.

Low fuel pressure will cause symptoms very similar to what you're describing. It's running very lean from too-low fuel pressure, so it only wants to run at low throttle positions and has very low power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Failed pressure regulators are not unheard of, particularly on older C50's. The black hose diverts the excess fuel back into the pump's little baffle cup (so when fuel is very low, it doesn't cut out when making right turns or braking, ect), but that wouldn't cause the problem.

You can test the regulator easy enough, pull it out of the assembly, get a blow-gun and set your compressor's regulator to ~40psi and blow into the regulator. Nothing should come through. Slowly turn up the regulator, by 45psi a small amount of air should be coming through, and with more pressure, should be more air being released (it's set to maintain ~43psi or so).

You can DIY clean the injectors with a cheap $10 kit from ebay, it's an adapter to put the injector on a can of carb cleaner, and a little harness connector so you can cycle the injectors open with a 12v source (a 9v battery works fine too) and blast cleaner through them. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner doesn't hurt to toss them in there for a bath either.

Low fuel pressure will cause symptoms very similar to what you're describing. It's running very lean from too-low fuel pressure, so it only wants to run at low throttle positions and has very low power.
Excellent advice. Thank you. Will post results.
Thx. Gonna do that as soon as the rain stops today.
Emptied tank again, filled with premium gas, bottle of octane booster, bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Started up and ran great for a few seconds then started cutting out again. After keeping it running for aboutv 20 mins the bike started to act like it wants to run better. Pulled plugs and cleaned with wire brush. Started up, still cutting out. Will be trying to clean injectors hopefully this evening. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Question....how do I pull the injectors?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts

This will get you to them. Then just remove them. Lots of links for testing and cleaning them online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pulled the injectors out and had a friend took them to work and clean them in an ultrasonic Parts washer. Bike ran great all day until evening and started cutting out again so I pulled the injectors off and got some injectors from a friend off of his Parts bike and bike runs great I'm going to pull my tank off one more time and coat it and hopefully I will be all good thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it quick responses were awesome. And yes I realize that my punctuation sucks, I'm using talk to text while at work.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I pulled the injectors out and had a friend took them to work and clean them in an ultrasonic Parts washer. Bike ran great all day until evening and started cutting out again so I pulled the injectors off and got some injectors from a friend off of his Parts bike and bike runs great I'm going to pull my tank off one more time and coat it and hopefully I will be all good thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it quick responses were awesome. And yes I realize that my punctuation sucks, I'm using talk to text while at work.
Glad to hear you're up and running!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts