Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello VR Community,
I recently obtained a 2005 Boulevard M50 VZ800 with 5200 miles. It sat in a garage untouched for about 7 years before I purchased. It wouldn't start when I bought it so I took it to local shop for diagnosis/repair. They replaced plugs, fuel pump with OEM, fuel injectors, fixed some electrical pin. I don't know when the gas was drained. I finally got the bike after a long time in the shop and it seemed to run OK. Tech said it should get better the more I ride it. I changed the oil and filter. It does not idle down when shifting, and takes a few seconds to idle down when stopped. This is true hot or cold. It also seems to idle very low, but - to be fair this is the first cruiser I've ever owned.

I think the gas is clean because the tech said he ran some new gas through on the test ride, then I put a full tank (3.4gal) of 93 octane in. I rode 75 miles, then the fuel light came on! I added gas and it took 3.4 gallons!! Which means it's not a faulty light - I actually used 3.4 gallons in 75 miles, which is about 22mpg.
Can anyone give me an idea where to start?
I'm not a mechanic but if it is simple, I'll attempt repairs.
Thanks for reading, I'll appreciate any input.
t

·
Super Moderator
33,528 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

It sounds like everything I can think of has already been done. You can try adjusting the idle down a bit, and possible a fuel processor added on could help. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome from Florida :)

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Hello VR Community,
I recently obtained a 2005 Boulevard M50 VZ800 with 5200 miles. It sat in a garage untouched for about 7 years before I purchased. It wouldn't start when I bought it so I took it to local shop for diagnosis/repair. They replaced plugs, fuel pump with OEM, fuel injectors, fixed some electrical pin. I don't know when the gas was drained. I finally got the bike after a long time in the shop and it seemed to run OK. Tech said it should get better the more I ride it. I changed the oil and filter. It does not idle down when shifting, and takes a few seconds to idle down when stopped. This is true hot or cold. It also seems to idle very low, but - to be fair this is the first cruiser I've ever owned.

I think the gas is clean because the tech said he ran some new gas through on the test ride, then I put a full tank (3.4gal) of 93 octane in. I rode 75 miles, then the fuel light came on! I added gas and it took 3.4 gallons!! Which means it's not a faulty light - I actually used 3.4 gallons in 75 miles, which is about 22mpg.
Can anyone give me an idea where to start?
I'm not a mechanic but if it is simple, I'll attempt repairs.
Thanks for reading, I'll appreciate any input.
t
I would think it has to be a gas leak of some type. If its not external (which should be pretty easy to check) then it may be internal. Before I rode it much farther I'd change my oil and make sure it doesn't have fuel in it. Seems like I read a forum story in which this was the problem. I know it sounds far fetched but it's ringing a bell with me for some reason. O, and welcome to the forum, ride safe.

Reactions: Nolight and Whiskey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think it has to be a gas leak of some type. If its not external (which should be pretty easy to check) then it may be internal. Before I rode it much farther I'd change my oil and make sure it doesn't have fuel in it. Seems like I read a forum story in which this was the problem. I know it sounds far fetched but it's ringing a bell with me for some reason. O, and welcome to the forum, ride safe.
Thanks NateDog, I'll check for leaks and gas in the oil.
t

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

It sounds like everything I can think of has already been done. You can try adjusting the idle down a bit, and possible a fuel processor added on could help. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Thanks for the Welcome, Whiskey. I might try adjusting the idle and see what happens.
Happy Riding!
t

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the Welcome, Whiskey. I might try adjusting the idle and see what happens.
Happy Riding!
t
Well, I adjusted (what I believe is) the idle screw a LITTLE bit, and it idled up a quite a bit, so I turned it back to what I thought was the original position and now it's even lower than before - to the point that it stalled a few times idling. I cannot seem to turn the screw back up now - it seems too tight, like it's reached it's limit.
The screw has about a 3/8 to 1/2 inch knurled head with a flat slot, located under the left side of the tank (as ridden).
t

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
The engine is designed to idle at ~1100rpm. Too many people want the Harley lope and turn the knob down too low which is bad for the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a good possibility, had that problem with an 03 vl800 needle valve wasn't seating and gas running through into cylinders and sleeping past the rings into crankcase. Cleaned the carb and adjusted the float worked for me. Changed oil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts