Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start with all I've done so far and work my way to the issue. Usually helps to know the history. Got the bike about 2 months ago from the auto dealer I work at. Co-worker traded it in. They replaced the battery a few months prior. Had a starting issue and when it ran it would backfire a lot. Found out the bolts holding the terminals were too long and grounding out on the cradle. I fixed the issue with shorter bolts and fabricated one of the battery insulators from a car to fit it to keep it from rattling around. Then a short from the starter switch on the handlebar showed up. Wasn't that big of a deal. Annoying. Had to jiggle the wire a bit while turning the bar back and forth to get it to start. Now I believe there may be a full blown short because now as it runs all the lights flicker sometimes the turn signals blink faster than they should and at times it'll lose power and just shut off when I stop. I'm sure it shuts off as I'm moving to but ends up starting itself due to inertia. Now the button rarely works and I've gotta ground out the positive and negative of what I believe is the solenoid under the cover on the left side of the bike to force it to start.

If anyone thinks this may be due to the short in the wires coming from the starter switch off the handlebars please let me know the gauge of the wires in the harness. I'll just rerun them myself without buying another harness.

Thanks in advance I appreciate any help. Car is busted and bike is my only means of transport at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
21,098 Posts
welcome to the family here...hopefully someone knowledgeable can give you the info you need...there are quite a few here that usually are able to assist. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm hoping so. I have a co-worker who's great with electrical I'm gonna have him look at it as well. He gets off before me. I can at least tell me what gauge wire it is. Shit I might just start making and selling the wiring harness for half what everyone sells it for.

·
Super Moderator
21,098 Posts
check ebay for a harness...many part out their bikes when they move on to another mc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked. Hard to come across and more than I'm willing to pay. Especially since I know how to make it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts