Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres whats going on.

I have V&H Straight shots, K&N AF, and it was all re-jetted off of the Rejet matrix here(Except i didnt change my pilot, yet...) and mixture screw out 2.5-3 turns. and Iridium plugs
I ordered the Pilot last week so today i decided to change out the pilot jet as it is the last one left. 37.5 per the rejet matrix. Well pulled the carb, changed the jet, reconnected all air lines to the carb, and reinstalled. Well i cant get it to start up. It turns over but it just wont start now. I smell a strong Fuel smell so i double checked everything and there are NO leaks. After trying to start multiple times i pulled the Spark Plugs, and there is a strong gas smell. I cleaned them up, let it sit and put the plugs back. Tried to start and it kicked over for about 1 second then died out. Last shot, i decided to get some carb cleaner/starter spray and it kicks over and spits black smoke out the tail pipe but STILL dies out. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!! HELLLLPPPPP!!!!! MEEEE!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Vacuum line to the petcock hooked up correctly at the fitting?
Why Iridium plugs? Wasted money, Same with K&N on most of these bikes, hard to get these bikes to run right with a K&N. These bikes are really lean from the factory and the K&N just makes it worse.
Did you start it before installing the pilot jets?
On these carb'd bikes, I have found that it helps to, have a fully charged battery, full choke, twist and release the throttle a few times, then crank. repeat the last 2 steps until it fires up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I started it before I changed out the pilot jet. As for the plugs getting so much fuel on them should I just change them out? Or let it sit and try to start her later? Also for the float bowl all I did was take the bowl off pull the pilot, and reinstall a new pilot. Didn't touch anything else. The air supply line on petcock*, you talking about the one on the left side of the tank? Or the air supply line on the carb itself?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
If it started before you changed the pilot. I would think you have either fouled the plugs, or didn't hook up the vacuum line at the petcock, ( don't know what you mean by air supply), these bikes run on a vacuum operated petcock, they will not allow fuel to flow unless the engine is creating vacuum by cranking over, so the lines must be correct. And yes at the left side of the tank is where the fitting is that most people overlook or connect wrong after removing the fuel tank. Probably nothing wrong with your float.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Have you checked your idle knob? Try turning it clockwise. If it is too low, it won't start even choked.

·
Registered
686 Posts
You need to prime the carb. Takes A LOT of cranking to get the BS fuel pump (vacuum operated, under the seat) to fill the float bowl. I use a separate hose & a plastic cup hung from my apes as a fuel source when working with the carb.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I am going to buy new plugs tonight and since its been sitting all day hopefully its not flooded anymore. I will update after changing the plugs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so i got the new plugs in, pulled the choke all the way out and the bike started, BUT it sputtered and popped and only stayed on if i held the throttle. When i let go of the throttle, it died and you can see the fumes coming out of the exhaust pipes. Now it wont start again? Could it just still be that flooded?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that is what i thought. So i pulled everything back apart. (The carb, pulled the pilot jet back out, double checked all line going to the carb and everything was on secure. I then started the bike with the tank off and it started and died out after about 3 seconds. So i put the tank back on, re-connected the pair valve(all 3 lines going to the f connector) and the bike starts and with throttle is staying on but spitting black smoke out the tail pipes? Isn't that a possible sign that it is still possibly flooded? I'm puzzled. I agree it sounds like a vacuum leak but i cannot find a vacuum leak anywhere?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I agree with possibly flooded. Or your pilot jet could be too big. Turn the idle up a little and see if you can keep it running long enough to go for a ride. You need to get it hot to clean the plugs. What size pilot jet did you take out?

·
Premium Member
14,512 Posts
Also if that white piece on page 15 does not "POP" when it goes back in place that could cause problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't pulled off the diaphragm cover yet because I didn't touch that side of the carb. Only changed the pilot jet as I had changed the main and adjusted the needle last year. Whwat is that o ring for? And the local bike shop said the needle in the diaphragm could be stuck open, or the spring could be bad so I'm going to take the diaphragm out tonight

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
The rejet matrix is bull. All bikes are different. You KNOW you are getting too much fuel. And the only change you made for that to happen was going to a bigger pilot jet. Trust me. The 37.5 is too big. When I did my bobber I was running cobra drags, a pod air filter bolted right on top of the carb, jet needle on 4th notch, A/F screw 2 7/8 turns out and a 32.5 pilot jet. That bike would scream. And smoke the rear tire.
Put the stock pilot back in and see what happens. I would bet it runs better. but probably bogs when you open the throttle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.