Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently acquired the motorcycle,was told it has been sitting for a few month.
It has some sputtering to it figure it was from the gas sitting up in it added a fuel treatment have gone through a few tanks of gas and still have issues especially when you are riding and give it some throttle seems to bog down.

Just replace the plugs and that didn't correct the issue either.. Is there anything else I can try before having the carb redone?:cry:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Did it run poorly when you got it? Did YOU replace the air filter and is it an OEM filter or a K&N filter? These bikes will run as you described when you go from an factory filter to a more free flowing air filter without re-jetting the carb. Is it possible the previous owner did the free flow filter and then sold the bike with poor performance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it did just figure it was cause it has set up for a few month and got a good deal on it.we put a new k&n filter on it

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Just recently acquired the motorcycle,was told it has been sitting for a few month.
It has some sputtering to it figure it was from the gas sitting up in it added a fuel treatment have gone through a few tanks of gas and still have issues especially when you are riding and give it some throttle seems to bog down.

Just replace the plugs and that didn't correct the issue either.. Is there anything else I can try before having the carb redone?:cry:
Hi Mary and welcome! I bought the same bike last May and the seller was honest with me that it had been parked in his garage for a couple of years. Although your seller said it sat for a few months, it could have been much longer. Sure enough, she sputtered and sputtered. Motiv is right about the carb clean- that fixed the problem with mine. Best Wishes!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi RellaLou
any suggestion on how to clean them? have tried sea foam..do I need to spray something right into the carb?
Any suggestion would be greatly apperciated wanna get my Maxx in tip top shape so I can her..I do still have my other bike 07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, but Maxx fits me better(I"m short)..

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Your carb jets are probably plugged a little. That happens when a bike sits for awhile with gas in the float bowl. It evaporates and leaves a crust that blocks the jets. A simple thin wire run through the jets will clean them out. Just be careful and don't use too big a wire. The jets are pretty soft metal, and you can damage them. If you want, just replace them. They screw in and are pretty cheap to replace.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hi RellaLou
any suggestion on how to clean them? have tried sea foam..do I need to spray something right into the carb?
Any suggestion would be greatly apperciated wanna get my Maxx in tip top shape so I can her..I do still have my other bike 07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, but Maxx fits me better(I"m short)..

Hi Mary,

Although I love to ride & dress her up, mechanical stuff is not my bag. I had this done at the local dealership. Since then, I have found a little hole-in-the-wall place that I will use from now on. I feel this procedure is above my skill & comfort level. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
While they are cleaning the carb, have them check the vacuum lines and fuel lines for cracks and tears. That becomes a problem with bikes of our age.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Am sure you have corrected the problem by now I did not notice any one mention if it has had carb re jetted as I have seen more then several combinations of jets . Some work fine on one bike and not so good on another.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not yet still working on it,will have to call the person I got it from and see if they rejected the carb,thanks..

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Have the carb cleaned. Off the bike and soked. It's clogged with ethanal crud. Vary small passages in there. Carb must be jetted to the K & N. Leave the K & N on the bike. It improves midrange performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts