Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that my 2008 C50 does not have smooth power across the rev. range. I’ve done a 7000 valve adjustment, and rode about 1700 miles since. Engine seems to run fine on idle, and has good power when RPM perfectly matches the speed. I do feel that engine runs a bit strained between those ideal spots in each gear. It is most noticeable when accelerating to change the gears up. Vibration is also more apparent between those ideal spots. 2nd gear around 22-25 mph indicated, 3rd gear is best around 30 mph indicated, 4th gear around 40-42 mph indicated, 5th gear around 55-60 mph indicated (all of these are subjective). Everywhere in between and higher, it feels a bit rougher than it should (I guess...), almost like there is just not quite enough power delivered. It is not enough to be concerned about valve adjustment or some other mechanics issue, it is just bugging me. I can’t say that I have to be very smooth with the clutch, but it helps sometimes.

I know that bike sat for a long time: bought it 1.5 years ago with 2900 miles. I’ve done a lot of work on it since, and I did put on almost 6000 miles since, 70/30 city/highway.

Does it make sense to pull and clean fuel injectors? Should I run some injector cleaner additives though gas tank every 1000 miles? I did use Chevron Techron Concentrate plus Fuel System cleaner several times before with no perceivable impact.

I suspect if there is a problem at all, it has to be somewhere is fuel/air system, but with electronic injection, there are no adjustments I’m aware off that can help smooth the power delivery.
It is my first motorcycle, and I’ve ridden only a few other bikes before this one, so there is no frame of reference to be able to compareDealers in my area (NYC) have no clue what a C50 should be like, and frankly I don’t trust them enough to work on anything but most obvious things.
Engine on C50 is not powerful, but one would think the engine should be adequate for cruising. Or is it how C50 engine is, and I’ve outgrown the bike’s limits and/or actually started noticing them since I’ve gotten used to a quiet OEM exhaust?

Thanks!

P.S. I will add fuel injector cleaner additive tomorrow, and report back if I notice any difference in performance.

P.S.S. I found this thread about rectifier problems on 2007-2009 c50, could it be the case here?

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
You're starting to notice the bike's short comings. When you're new to riding and new to the bike, it feels like a rocket ship. But as you rack up the miles, the small annoyances start to creep in. Your bike is exactly like every other VL800 ever built. It only has 44hp to work with and a very narrow gear range on the transmission. In order to maintain speed with the rest of traffic, you have to goose it and get it out of its comfort zone, where you really begin to notice and hate the vibration. It's not a pleasant vibration either, but rather a high frequency, feel it through every contact point with the motorcycle vibration. Swapping for a DJ drive will delay when those vibrations begin to get annoying, but nothing will eliminate them all together.

If you feel like spending the money, you can tear down the fuel system and either send the injectors out to be cleaned, or buy a new set (someone figured out that they are the same injectors used on a Civic). But even with that expense, you're still going to have a mildly tuned 800cc cruiser.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're starting to notice the bike's short comings. When you're new to riding and new to the bike, it feels like a rocket ship. But as you rack up the miles, the small annoyances start to creep in. Your bike is exactly like every other VL800 ever built. It only has 44hp to work with and a very narrow gear range on the transmission. In order to maintain speed with the rest of traffic, you have to goose it and get it out of its comfort zone, where you really begin to notice and hate the vibration. It's not a pleasant vibration either, but rather a high frequency, feel it through every contact point with the motorcycle vibration. Swapping for a DJ drive will delay when those vibrations begin to get annoying, but nothing will eliminate them all together.

If you feel like spending the money, you can tear down the fuel system and either send the injectors out to be cleaned, or buy a new set (someone figured out that they are the same injectors used on a Civic). But even with that expense, you're still going to have a mildly tuned 800cc cruiser.
As always, thank you for a detailed reply, Skrapiron!

Oh well... I suspected that was the case and I got used to the bike and started noticing the shortcomings.
I ride it quite often, even though it is for shorter rides, and tearing down and cleaning the fuel injectors is not something I want to do right now. I'm sure there will be a marginal improvement, but not enough to really make me jump on it right now.

I don't think I would invest another $500+ into DJ drive swap; just don't see the point on a 12 year old bike that is probably not going to be around in the next year or so. I don't tour on it, and longer rides (2+ hours) were never too comfortable, so it will stay as it is right now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd suggest spending $12 or so on a couple of cans of SeaFoam. Over the next few tank-fulls, add it to the fuel at a rate of 1 oz. per gallon, and ride the heck out of it. Once those two cans are consumed -- about eight full tanks -- if a dirty fuel system was any part of your problem you will feel the difference. Especially over the winter months when riding slacks off, I keep the fuel dosed in both of my bikes, as it is a fuel stabilizer as well as a cleaner.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
If you haven't swapped the grips out, ISO grips or something of that sort may help the buzz you feel through the bars. I put Grip Puppies on my GoldWing and really like them. Cheap and effective, and give a larger grip. On my Volusia, in addition to the grips I also added HD floorboards that isolated the vibration as well. The bike is a V Twin and while it is fairly smooth you will never get the multi cylinder or boxer smoothness some other bikes have. But call it character and ride with a smile! At least you can see in the mirrors when stopped at a light, unlike a million or more of other riders... ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you haven't swapped the grips out, ISO grips or something of that sort may help the buzz you feel through the bars. I put Grip Puppies on my GoldWing and really like them. Cheap and effective, and give a larger grip. On my Volusia, in addition to the grips I also added HD floorboards that isolated the vibration as well. The bike is a V Twin and while it is fairly smooth you will never get the multi cylinder or boxer smoothness some other bikes have. But call it character and ride with a smile! At least you can see in the mirrors when stopped at a light, unlike a million or more of other riders... ;)
I have Oxford heated grips, and aftermarket forward controls :) Vibration is definitely annoying, but on longer highway rides only. On shorter rides (majority of my rides) it is fine.
Problem is with the power delivery. When I have some spare time, I will probably look into cleaning the injectors, and see if that makes any difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts