Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

07 Boulevard Speedometer

457 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RWhitehosue 
#1 ·
I need to change my speedometer. My question is will the odometer be correct after the change. I will be swapping it out with a used one.

Thanks

#2 ·
Yes. The mileage will change. It is a felony to tamper with the odometer reading as well. When you change the speedo cluster, your state will require you to carry a document stating that the current mileage is NOT the recorded mileage, that document has to live with the bike for the rest of its life.

Reactions: casio1961
#3 ·
Yes, these bikes store the odometer in the actual gauge, not in the ECU. That's still relatively common on motorcycles and powersports but has been long gone from cars, too easy to tamper with.

As said if you alter this you're supposed to file some paperwork with the DMV and if you sell it give the buyer some form disclosing it. Most states track mileage at yearly inspections, and if it suddenly drops vs last year it can be flagged and often won't pass until you get the proper paperwork, varies by state. It can go up by any amount of course, so if the gauge needs to be replaced, try to find one with a higher mileage than what you had. Technically you're still supposed to report the odometer is inaccurate, but it having MORE mileage than actual isn't going to trip any flags or really bother anyone. They don't know if you swapped the gauge with one showing 10k more miles, or actually rode 10k miles last year, and don't care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.