Re-jetting '04 Carb w/Parts List! [Archive] - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

: Re-jetting '04 Carb w/Parts List!

Git_t_up
04-30-2017, 11:39 AM
New to posting here... I'm posting this a second time under The Garage and w/a NEW title to optimize the Search Engine...

THANK YOU to all the posts here!
First place I come to for advice...
Been adding to my "to do" list for a while and every spring I hit 'er with something new...

THANKS to the rejet Matrix info found here... I rejetted my '04 yesterday... (OK I've rejetted cars and bikes before so I have some experience) and I'm HAPPY:smile2: to say that I nailed it (so far as I'm still fooling around w the bike). About a 6 hr job but that included adding a fuel filter and a trip to the parts store for clips and a missing vent hose (5/16 fuel line) from the top of the carb... not good but no damage done... and rewiring my Baron tach...

I bought both the Dyno Jet Stage 1 kit and a Sigma kit off eBay that provided a pilot jet and more main jet options. Dyno Jet doesn't provide a pilot jet and if you watch the videos they claim that power is really made in the mid range (true) and not at idle.. the ONLY PROBLEMS with the statement are:
1) Factories set bike lean to pass emissions
2) these V Twin cruiser engines make most of their power down low rolling out of the idle circuit
3) rolling out of a lean idle circuit into a "richer" normal mix can cause "ridability" problems ie stumbling, hesitation lack of a smooth transition etc... all of which my bike exhibited...
PROOF: it turns out someone had changed the main jet to a 132.5 but having left the stock pilot, needle etc the bike didn't idle well, stumbled and was not strong out of idle (the carb was recently rebuilt by a great bike shop so it is was clean... I simply didn't have the time that summer)
END Result: a 137.5 main jet, 32.5 pilot jet (both from Sigma), Dyno Jet needle valve with clip at #3 groove, 2.5 turns on the idle mix screw, stock (old but clean) air filter. New MR Gasket kit not here yet...

And I did add a basic generic V8 Chevy/Ford 5/16 inline fuel filter in behind the tool kit box about 5" inch before the vacuum operated fuel pump...
The stock pipes are drilled out 3/8" in a 6 gun revolver pattern and now the bike sounds throatier as well... before it was "barkey" with the leaner mixture.

Forget the K&N airfilter, see my research and post...
Went back to the stock filter and that solved ALL the bikes problems introduced by the K&N...
Forget about the price of a new Suzuki air filter as I've opted for the Mr Gasket 4354 air filter kit (mods found on another post here) purchased on eBay for $16 free shipping... BTW all the online Suzuki stores show $32.. BUT then want $10 or more for shipping... so the full retail price of $42 is realized.... One is close to me in FL and they still add the $10 even if I pick it up...:frown2:
Ride Safe! Have Fun!
ENJOY!