A step beyond the baffles... [Archive] - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

: A step beyond the baffles...

fullthrottle_man
10-01-2016, 12:38 AM
I started with the "Honest Abe" mod, 1 step at a time. Each step got me closer to the sound I desired, for the optimum price ($0). But it wasn't as loud as I wanted. Then I removed the baffles entirely - closer! But still not where I wanted it. Then the other day, I was looking inside the pipes and could see the catalytic converters past the plate where the baffles were welded. So, I thought I'd try a trick that I did on some cars in the past...knock a hole through the honeycombs in the converter. Took a long pointed bar and tried to hammer through it in the top pipe, to no avail. All I did was crush the honeycomb together. But in my futility, I noticed the converter honeycomb was cockeyed! An interesting development, to say the least! I then took a long pry bar and hammered the bottom end of the honeycomb downward, and to my surprise, the whole catalytic converter section popped out of place! Voila! Instant straight pipe! Then I did the same to the bottom pipe, and then the ear test. At idle, it's a nice low rumble, a little louder volume than the debaffling, but not much. Steady cruising and light acceleration results in just above volume over debaffling. However, hard on the throttle and she snarls like a higher pitched Harley with straight pipes! I likey! Quiet (sort of) when I want, but loud and obnoxious when I want! Best of both worlds! ;)

daprez1963
10-02-2016, 10:43 PM
Question is after doing all that did it effect bikes performance? Is your bike rejetted...I am thinking about popping my baffles out since I am too rich and figured to balance it by doing the baffles

fullthrottle_man
10-03-2016, 12:41 AM
It doesn't seem to have affected performance at all. I still have the stock air filter and no fuel programmer, but it doesn't seem to be running any leaner or hotter than it was before. I haven't noticed much of a difference on my butt dyno either, but a butt dyno isn't very accurate. ;)

Skrapiron
10-03-2016, 07:45 AM
No. Completely gutting the stock pipes will have zero affect on performance. The restriction is the downpipe (it measures less than 1.25") All you are going to do is make the bike louder and piss off your neighbors... If you feel the need to compensate for something, might I suggest a less publicly aggravating selection than making unnecessary noise that only you appreciate.

Tarkus
10-03-2016, 12:38 PM
what about fuel consumption? If you would do it to a car it would make it less fuel efficient.

Skrapiron
10-03-2016, 12:47 PM
The car relies on a closed loop emissions system, with O2 sensors providing feedback to the EMC to make necessary changes in the a/f mix, keeping the system within operating specs. The EMC on the C50 is a primitive 32 bit non-adaptive computer that can only use rudimentary sensors to do its job. It has no way to gauge the content of the exhaust gasses, so it cannot compensate for anything, once the baffles and catalyst have been removed. Other than being completely illegal to do and in violation of most clean air statutes, it doesn't gain you anything other than an obnoxiously loud bike. One that sounds like a pitiful attempt to be a Harley.

fullthrottle_man
10-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Fuel consumption has remained the same, right around the 48-50mpg mark depending on how hard I'm twisting the throttle.

As far as the noise and "pitiful attempt at sounding like a Harley", the group of Harley riders I cruise with have actually complimented on how they like the sound.

fullthrottle_man
10-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Besides, as far as the "obnoxious noise", etc., last I checked it was my bike so I will do to it what I will. Your approval, and your opinion, is not needed.

Skrapiron
10-03-2016, 09:27 PM
Good for you. So when you get pulled over and your bike impounded for disturbing the peace, you can repeat that to the arresting officer..

fullthrottle_man
10-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Well, the nice thing is that doesn't happen here. Otherwise there would also be no Harleys on the road either. ;)

c800
10-04-2016, 02:19 PM
it doesn't gain you anything other than an obnoxiously loud bike. One that sounds like a pitiful attempt to be a Harley.

Why do you always belittle the Suzuki 800 and berate the mods people do to them?

crashtestdummy
10-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Why do you always belittle the Suzuki 800 and berate the mods people do to them?

+1, I've also noticed a bit of a curmudgeon attitude lately.

racecitync
10-08-2017, 07:54 PM
What year is/was your Suzuki?

RiderRon
10-09-2017, 11:07 PM
The profile says it's a 2014.

htlong
10-10-2017, 08:12 AM
why can motorcycles run without mufflers but a car cant?

biketober fest is coming to Daytona in 9 days and that means four days with no sleep...........I guess I am a bit of a CRUMUDGEON TOO