My bike is dumping gas!! [Archive] - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

: My bike is dumping gas!!

TheXGreatXDane
07-16-2016, 02:56 PM
I own a 2001 suzuki vs800 i believe it is a gl im not sure

I realize that you guys might only have volusia's but i need help and cant find it anywhere else and i figure the two bikes are very similar so let me know if this isnt ok now that thats out of the way.

I recently bought my bike and it needed carb work because it had sat so long so i took it to a local shop that is supposed to be "really good at what they do".
Well long story short i paid 700 dollars got it back it ran for a day and here we are at square one.
When i start it it will run (with the gas on) but then it floods out of the overflow after 5 or so minutes runs all over the bike and ground the first time i tried this it even ran out of the tailpipe.
If i shut the gas off it will run for a while on what is left from it being flooded then die but as soon as i turn the gas on same thing happens after 5 or so minutes.
I know virtually nothing about carbs can someone help me withwith my issue?
I called him and told him it didnt run he told me to tap the carbs with a screw driver drain the bowl and he also said to just take it apart and spray it with carb cleaner and ive done all of them except take apart the carb because i dont know how. (Or hows about you do what you were paid to do?) Anyway thanks in advance.

scorpion46
07-16-2016, 03:13 PM
Call him back and ask that he fix the problem he caused. If he says no, let him know you'll post a very negative post about his work and failure to honor it. Also let word of mouth take business away.

Capt Cruiser
07-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Let him know your spilling gas all over the hot engine and exhaust and ask him if his liability insurance is up to date so he'll be able to afford to replace your bike, and pay for any personal injuries caused by the impending fire.

That might get his attention.

TheXGreatXDane
07-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Yeah at this point though i dont trust the guy to work on it anymore i have told some people and been told in return that he doesnt do a good job and he doesn't know what he is doing.

So i will keep the word of mouth thing going i mean if you cant stand behind your work and offer to fix your mistake as a mechanic that tells me right there all about him you know?

So in the meantime i would appreciate any help telling me what i can do is the carb messed up what should i look for in the carb if it is? I would atleast like to get my endorsement and a good ride in before winter hits

thanks guys

hcapar302
07-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular carb. Does it have a float bowl with a valve inside that is supposed to shut off the gas when it is full?

hcapar302
07-18-2016, 03:37 PM
If it has a float bowl and valve, it sounds like the float is stuck or binding on something keeping it from floating up to make the valve close. Maybe he left out the valve or didn't install the float properly.

SoakedKarma
07-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Should at least give the mechanic an even break.. he deserves the ability to make it right..
Obviously wasn't leaking gas when you picked it up.. Let him know of problem.

drain the leaking carb a time or two using the bowl drain screw.. may dislodge/flush dirt/rust holding float valve open as bowl refills..

My 2