Bike Stutters and surges [Archive] - Suzuki Volusia Forums : Intruder Volusia and Boulevard Forum

: Bike Stutters and surges

SirFency
03-27-2016, 12:31 PM
I just bought this 2000 Suzuki Marauder 800 and at low rpms the bike feels like its backfiring or surging and stuttering. when i get on it feels like it takes it a second before it really kicks in and goes (almost like clutch slippage but i dont think thats whats really happening) but when it does it has a lot of power for an 800. the previous owner knocked out the baffles in the exhaust. I was going to clean out the carb and jets and get new spark plugs but I was doubting that it will really help much. anyone have any information regarding what might be causing the low rpm/low speed stutter.:biglaugh:

Wazoo
03-27-2016, 12:34 PM
I would start exploring possible vacuum leaks or collapsed fuel line. ????

JPJ61
03-27-2016, 12:55 PM
That sounds like a fuel problem . If the bike sat for any length of time before you bought it, the carbs could be plugged by degraded fuel.

fletch24990
03-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Carb clean and rejet, also check all fuel and vacuum lines.

SirFency
03-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. The reason I was discounting a fuel issue is cause when I get on it it don't spit and sputter other than the delay in it hitting the power band and usually if its starving for fuel getting on it will make it choke worse. Ill start with pulling off the carb cleaning it and the jetz and put in new plugs and see what happens. I was not sure if removing the baffles of the exhaust may have contributed to this or not.

Wazoo
03-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Don't forget to check the fuel vent.

Corey
03-31-2016, 04:14 PM
I've seen a weak coil cause the issues you are describing my dads bike was hard starting and shuttered off the line found some coils off ebay changed them out and all is well

scorpion46
03-31-2016, 05:13 PM
With its age, it very could be deteriorating rubber lines, both vacuum and fuel. Rubber hose is cheap, I'd replace all and it's one less worry while you have it apart. They could go at any time.